Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All excited...!!!

Helen

I'm all excited as I just stumbled across the Io transit of Jupiter :) When I looked at Jupiter for the first time tonight I thought I had dust on the eyepiece, but when I returned at the end of my session for another quick look I saw it had moved. So in to check and its Io :o So then had to get the camera on it instead of going to bed. Process tomorrow though - bed calls.

Helen <happy>

Helen, same thing happened to me when observing with my 8" Dob tonight, I also thought it was a speck of dust but realised it was moving across the FOV on Jupiter's disc, and was there whatever e/p I used.

I presumed it was a moon transit, but glad you have confirmed it! (BTW had the best views of Jupiter I can remember in moments of good seeing tonight :o)

Chris

Well done Helen.

It's very satisfying to see the shadows of Jupiters moons traversing that giant planet. I wonder if Galileo saw the shadows. He knew they were moons, but I don't think his scope would have revealed their shadows crossing the disc. Maybe I'm wrong here.

I hope your images turn out well. Look froward to seeing them.

Ron.:o

I picked this shadow transit up just about as the shadow passed the planets central meridian. Been following it on and off since and I've just watched Io itself appear as a tiny "bump" on Jupiter's limb then gradually separate off into space as it cleared the planets disk. Always something going on on Jupiter :o

I managed to observe the transit from start to finish it was the first time I had seen this. There was a thin layer of cloud over worcester last night which seemed to help filtering some of the light from jupiter giving me some nice views. I look forward to seeing any photos of this as I am still at the visual stage.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad other people had the same thrill too!

Here's the first very quick process of the shortest AVI. I've got to go to work now, but will have a proper go at the AVIs this evening.

DMK21 on Megrez90 with 2.5 powermate

Helen

post-13020-133877477857_thumb.jpg

I got my first proper view of Jupiter last night. Since I bought my first scope 3 years ago the king of the planets has been lurking close to the horizon.

I didnt think that it could rival the first time I saw Saturn but I was wrong. Stunning. Awe inspiring. Jaw droppingly brilliant.

I used my etx 90 which I have been using as a solar telescope lately. I had removed the finder scope for safety reasons My wife had gone to bed and I had left the finder scope in the bedroom so I did have a bit of a faff around trying to center it but I got a good 5 minutes viewing before he fog rolled in. Io was just touching Jupiter disc. I was impressed wth the colours of Io and Europa.

However it was Jupiter itself that stole the show. Those cloud bands!

Archived