Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie from Upminster

rll1288

I finally bit the bullet and got mysef a telescope (been thinking about it for years). Its a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ, which was all the budget could allow for at this moment in time.

I hope to get a set of Revelation Astro eyepieces and then can really get to see something. Well as best as I can being 18 miles from London and Oak trees all around.

I am an IT consultant and want to link the telescope up to a digital eyepiece and wirelessly send images to laptop in doors. Has anyone done this before? I sure they have and any input would be welcome.

Hi R11 and welcome to the group ;)

I've not done that yet but I have hooked up via usb cable. So I reckon some kind of dongle receiver at the laptop end and a transmitter at the other to effect a wireless usb link would do the job.

At a trade stand at Kelling last autumn a chap was demo'ing wireless scope control and live picture transmission to a screen. It was good enough to see the Sombrero in quite some detail (in b/w). Think it was either a Minitron or Watec camera or such like. So it's definitely possible.

Hello and welcome from me too. As for the remote viewing, although you'd need a sensitive CCD for fainter stuff, you should be able to get good results from the moon and, say, Jupiter, with a more basic setup.

Hello no name! If you are in Upminster go along to a Havering Astronomical Society meeting, 3rd Wednesday, Cranham Community Centre and speak to Martin. He has done this and demonstrated it to the club several years ago. I believe he was using a Mintron.

Dennis

Wow thanks for all the welcoming messages. I have been playing around with wireless technology for a while (sending video / internet etc.) and think the USB transmitters are coming of age. Good point about getting the right CCD imager as it would be good to capture and show the wife n kids.

Looking to improve the eyepieces and wondered about any suggestions?

Roy (sorry forgot to put my name down last night)

Hello no name! If you are in Upminster go along to a Havering Astronomical Society meeting, 3rd Wednesday, Cranham Community Centre and speak to Martin. He has done this and demonstrated it to the club several years ago. I believe he was using a Mintron.

Dennis

Cheers Dennis nice to know something close to me to get some first hand advice.

Roy

Hi and welcome to the group. ;)

(Sorry, i'm technologically impaired :mad: and can't help with your imaging question.)

Much appreciated. I justhope the weather takes a turn for the better so I can actually see the sky HAHA

Roy

Hi R11 and welcome to the group ;)

I've not done that yet but I have hooked up via usb cable. So I reckon some kind of dongle receiver at the laptop end and a transmitter at the other to effect a wireless usb link would do the job.

At a trade stand at Kelling last autumn a chap was demo'ing wireless scope control and live picture transmission to a screen. It was good enough to see the Sombrero in quite some detail (in b/w). Think it was either a Minitron or Watec camera or such like. So it's definitely possible.

Hi, yeah it must be as I have done wireless everything else. I have also asked one of my team who is a guru in wireless to see what he comes baclk with and will post when I get some info.

Roy

Archived