Starting out

Fortix

Hello all,

I have been looking to the stars all my life and finally decided to have a more serious look, at the moment I have a borrowed Celestron C102-HD and have been impressed at the views of Jupiter and its moons( only had it a week, and only one clear night ! ). I feel I may have jumped in at deep end and ordered a Celestron NexStar 8, will this be OK for a beginner ? I found the forum last night and found it to be really informative and lots of good advice, needless to say I will be a regular visitor, and no doubt lots of questions.

Hi Fortix and welcome!

Personally, I'm of the view that there's no such thing as a beginner's scope. What I mean by this is that everyone is so different that this is a null question. Eg. I am a 6 foot 3" man and I would be able to handle (i.e. carry) a much different scope to say an 8 year old girl.

In short, yes, you've chosen what appears to be a perfectly able scope that will give years of use and enjoyment so don't worry! :mad: In fact you have chosen well as I think a lot of the so called 'beginner's scopes' are so poor they put people off!

Also, as you'll see from many of the members' signatures, a lot of people have two or more scopes and therefore don't be worried if all targets are not ideally viewed in the scope - there's no such thing as the perfect scope for all targets and if you get into the hobby you may well get another one for a different reason eventually.

The good news then is that all your existing eyepieces and accessories are likely to work with the other scope too.

For now enjoy this one and if you want any help or advice then just ask the forum - I do all the time as I certainly still need help (in more ways than one!). ;)

Hi Fortix and welcome to the forum.

I agree with comments above that many scopes do many things and you have made a good start by buying a good product. I also agree about the notion of beginner scope as being a little misleading, as the real consideration is what you want to see, whether it needs to be mobile and even more importantly budget. I wouldn't presume any of them when offering a suggestion and if someone has the means to buy a large or expensive scope, good luck to them. You can always sell it on and get most of your money back which, in my view is much more preferable than buying some cheap low performing scope that is unlikely to sustain performance or any long term interest.

Wishing you clear skies for you're observing and look forward to reading up on what you've been looking at!!

James

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and I am relieved to read the positive coments regarding the scope, I have spent the last two weeks trying to decide between refractor / reflector , aperture size, focal length etc, etc. The choice is mind boggling for a newbie like me. ;)

Archived