NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece flight case

Hi everyone,

If you're a newbie or have never used a storage case for your EP's before, read on:

After a heads up in a recent post regarding flight cases for sale by Maplins (which I've searched for but can't find - sorry) I went down to my local Maplins and bought one of these for £20:

Small Flight Case : Flight Rugged Cases : Maplin

I chose the smaller one rather than the "briefcase" size one at the same price as I just need it for my EP's and this is plenty big enough. It's foam lined top & bottom with the pluckable foam squares in the bottom part.

The case seems well built for the price, but I really wanted to let you know about my experience of using this type of case as an observation aid.

I had a couple of hours viewing last night and used the case for the first time.

In summary, it's brilliant! :D

Rather than unpacking 4 eyepieces and a barlow in the dark (or doing it inside and then taking them out in your pockets and then setting them out etc), I just took the case out with me, opened the lid, and there they all were - ready to use immediately.

Swapping the eyepieces in the scope was much easier as all my EP's were laid out in front of me. Put one back and take another out - simples! Close the lid in between changes and your EP's are fully protected against dew

And the best bit was, at the end of the session, instead of bringing all the EP's back inside and putting them back in their boxes and then putting the boxes away etc, I closed the lid of the case, snapped it shut, and that was it - all my ep's instantly packed away safe and secure!

It might seem like a bit of an extravagance to have a "fancy case" just for your EP's, but the amount of time it saved before, during and after my observing session was immense & really added to my enjoyment of the night's viewing.

I've had experiences of knocking eyepieces over in the dark, fumbling on the grass etc, and it's not fun.

On the old adage that the less set-up and break-down time the better, this is a £20 investment that I will benefit from every single time I use the scope and I just wanted to share that point with you.

Apologies to old hands and the original poster of the thread I mentioned at the beginning, but, as a fellow newbie, if you're thinking about it - just do it - you'll never go back.

Hope this helps.

Clear Skies.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are often on sale at maplins for 14.99 so keep an eye open, I have two my 15x70 binos fit very well in one of them. Also the larger rugged cases are good for other things with the same pluck foam system. ST80 and accessories in one and cameras/filter wheel in another.

I agree - very handy and they protect your expensive equipment. Well worth the investment.

Nasty shock!! Mine holds over £300 of kit!!!! I never counted until now - that just brought me up with a jolt!

(3 EP's, Barlow, 2 camera adapters, 2" eyepiece adapter - that's all!)

What are the internal dimensions of this small case? I have the briefcase sized ones, one for my 20x80s and one (eventually) for my EPs (when I finally decide that I have enough).

I'm looking for a case 8"x 6-1/2"x 2", internally, for my travel set, which is complete (I hope), I've already cut the foam liner......

What are the internal dimensions of this small case? I have the briefcase sized ones, one for my 20x80s and one (eventually) for my EPs (when I finally decide that I have enough).

I'm looking for a case 8"x 6-1/2"x 2", internally, for my travel set, which is complete (I hope), I've already cut the foam liner......

External dimensions: (inc. feet and handle): 330(w) x 290(d) x 140(h)mm

Internal dimensions: 315(w) x 250(d) x 110(h)mm

According to the website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris77

Lets see a picture

A picture of what Kris?

I could be wrong but I think he means a picture of the EP case like these for example. ;)

Pic 1 is my first EP upgrade from the stock EP's that came with the scope. Pic 2 is my second upgrade of EP's which I've just completed, well for now anyway. :mad:

post-16879-133877475159_thumb.jpg

post-16879-133877475167_thumb.jpg

Yes great idea!

I was lucky to get an EP case with my Revelation Photo/Visual EP set. It has spare cut outs for expanding your set which take my EP that came with the scope and an additional barlow.

I purchased one of these smaller cases on ebay, full of pick foam for £15.95. The guy has 100% feedback and plenty available. Mine turned up in a day or so, if anybody is interested heres the link to the seller.

Flight Case Aluminium CD holder Tools Foam insert on eBay (end time 21-Jul-10 08:35:30 BST)

I then noticed I was aquiring a cardboard box full of cables, tools, adaptors etc that wasn't very practicle. ;) I had to empty it to find anything and the bottom was coming out! So I got one of these tool cases from Amazon

Draper 40394 TOOL CASE 460X335X155MM: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

It has movable partitions for all my stuff and a removable tool pallet in the lid that hinges forward and holds all my notes and starcharts etc.

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Clear skies

Mark

Yeah, mine looks just like that (but with a few less eyepieces!)

Well I can't argue with that, I do have too many EP's and if I'm honest I don't need that Barlow but still I'm happy with them all. ;)

Oh and we still need to see a pic of your case!! :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

I´ve a little problem.

I wanted to order this little flight case for my 15x70 bino.

It´s a great deal.

However they dont send international anymore.

So my question is: Is anyone willing to buy and ship this for me?

The costs I´ll be able to send to you through Paypal.

I have a (spare and unused) 6 mm Planetary Eyepiece for your trouble.

Hi Sky Beast,

If you PM me all the details I should be able to help. :)

We ship photobooks and other things at work so I'm sure I'd be able to acquire some suitable packaging. ;)

Also your getting £10 off the bigger flight case at the moment in case you hadn't noticed and only £5 off the small one.

Cheers

I bought the one that is currently £19.99

DSC_0021.jpg

At the Maplins checkout you can use these Voucher Codes,

secret1 - £1 off if you spend over £10

secret3 - £3 off if you spend over £30

secret5 - £5 off if you spend over £65

secret10 -£10 off if you spend over £130

secret15 - £15 off if you spend over £200

secret25 - £25 off if you spend over £300

Archived