NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

All about Sir Patrick...

badgerchap

Just been looking at how much praise there is for Sir Patrick Moore on here: it's great to see how much everyone reveres him. I think we should have some kind of SGL fanclub just for him. From all the great things people have said about him, he's plainly the most respected British astronomer of all time, so I'd like to raise a glass (well, a mug of tea, actually, but the sentiment is the same!)

Three cheers for Sir Patrick.....

Hip hip.....

I don't know how many are old enough to remember, but Patrick used to be on the telly fairly often when I was a kid and was possibly more well known for playing the xylophone than astronomy, as I remember he was pretty darned good too!

Wonder if there's any youtube of him in action? (goes off to look)

I have met him briefly twice and he is a true gentleman and scholar. They were only brief meetings sadly but he is a truly lovely person. He is also brilliant on the xylophone. What a character and he would put most mnodern celebs to shame bot for his sheer knowledge and his plain speaking and not a trace of ego in there,

try this one!

Nahhh, he used to do such stuff as flight of the bumblebee and it was awesome, his arms used to become a blur as he flew up and down the keys (or whatever they're called on a xylophone) just to watch the speed he went at was impressive.

I'm olde enough to remember when he was on the Morecambe and Wise show. 30 seconds into this video:

His Xylophone playing was amazing. Also visited him with my dad when I was kid. A truly lovely and inspiring fellow.

I feel like I've watched him at various periods for the whole of my life and I'm over half a century. Then I find that he first recorded TS@N when I was 2 years old. I don't remember that far back. We didn't have a telly till I was 6.

Top man, he is. Hats off to him. Always blimmin' interesting.

Archived