Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Veil Nebula

Uranium235

Just got in from a reasonable evenings session, we had about 3 hours of clear sky so I thought I would have a bash at the Veil nebula before it crossed the meridian. I decided to go with the 150p purely because of speed, I wasnt sure how long it would be clear for so I had to make the most of it.

The rest of the session was spent doing extras subs of M31, well that was until the cloud booed things at 12.30.

Veil Nebula:

Skywatcher 150p + 1000d

8x10min

Thanks for looking :)

post-18171-133877470348_thumb.jpg

Very nice job.

Focus and tracking look perfect.....you have some lovely detail in there. :)

You would have an even better image if you applied flats as there is quite a bit of vignetting, which will be making it tricky to bring out the central area in processing. Flats will get rid of this and are easy to do :)

Cheers

Rob

Thanks guys :)

Rob, the mad thing is... I did use sky flats and still got a gradient. I thought they should have been good becuase I shot them at dusk last night, so no idea why ive still got a gradient. Maxim spat out 3 of the sub frames last night when I stacked them so ive just completed a stack of the FITS files in DSS, and its looking a little better now. If its clear(ish) this eve I will shoot a few more flats and try again.

Dont know why, but every time I stay out for a session I always get a massive headache the next morning (anybody else get this?)...lol... astro hangover. :)

Rob

post-18171-133877470446_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter, im pretty sure the camera didnt move at all last night - however I do remember doing a very slight refocus between taking the flats and doing the lights, could that be it?

I will do some more after work this eve, either sky or laptop flats will do - just to see if it was that what caused it. I tried gradient removal in Maxim, but all that did was shift the vignetting to another part of the screen.

The guiding has been great recently, so much so that Im seriously tempted not to use the ST80 again. Im getting graphs so good with the finderguider you could eat them on toast :)

Will be back later on when ive produced something im happier with (fingers crossed).

post-18171-1338774706_thumb.jpg

Yay, got it sorted now :):):hello2:

Used a different set of flats and that did the trick. Its uncovered even more of the veil nebula, and on the full frame version its picked up more of the remnant in the bottom left and right corners - but ive cropped that out because of coma.

Looks much better that my first 2 efforts, i think the lesson is to never stack your subs at 2am.... you'l never get it right! :)

post-18171-133877470723_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Rob, the mad thing is... I did use sky flats and still got a gradient. I thought they should have been good becuase I shot them at dusk last night, so no idea why ive still got a gradient. Maxim spat out 3 of the sub frames last night when I stacked them so ive just completed a stack of the FITS files in DSS, and its looking a little better now. If its clear(ish) this eve I will shoot a few more flats and try again.

Dont know why, but every time I stay out for a session I always get a massive headache the next morning (anybody else get this?)...lol... astro hangover. :)

Rob

That's a beautiful image and yes, I get headaches too!

Archived