Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. I thin i read that the Skywatchers aren't included anyway.

I will look to buy everything from FLO so i will see if they can do a discount if i buy everything i need from them. Fingers crossed.

If all goes well, i will have it ordered tomorrow morning.

Fair enough. I thin i read that the Skywatchers aren't included anyway.

I will look to buy everything from FLO so i will see if they can do a discount if i buy everything i need from them. Fingers crossed.

If all goes well, i will have it ordered tomorrow morning.

Let us know if they will give you a deal, theres a few more of us all set to buy :)

The 200P/EQ5 is a bit shorter focal length (1000mm @ f/5) than the 200P Dob (1200mm @ f/5.91) so it'll be a bit more demanding on collimation and eyepieces. Conversely as it's shorter it'll be somewhat easier to mount.

In my opinion, the version you've linked to has the disadvantages of an EQ mount (awkward eyepiece placement, harder to get on the mount, needs power) without the advantage of GOTO. So i'd pick the Dob version. But opinion's vary :)

Would it be better if i went with the Dob and then upgrade the mount when i am confident enough and skilled enough to start imaging?

IMO yes.

Last question :)

Are the Tal 2x and 3x Barlows better than the Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow? If i get the Tal 3x Barlow, would the view be bigger and clearer?

Surely therefore it is better to get the Tal 3x Barlow over the Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow?

If i get the Tal 3x Barlow, would the view be bigger and clearer?

The standard eyepieces are 25mm and 10mm focal lengths, giving you 48x and 120x magnifications. The 3x barlow would give you 144x and 360x magnifications - the latter is much too high for UK skies. The 2x barlow with the 10mm eyepiece would give you 240x magnification, that's maybe a bit on the high side for general use but would be good on great nights.

I'd be tempted to not buy a barlow at all, and look for another eyepiece instead of 6mm or 7mm focal length - that will give you 170x or 200x magnification, which I think is a good range for high powers under UK skies. I just sold a 6mm SkyWatcher 66-degree for around £15 that would do the job very well.

Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. I will try to set it up when it arrives and if the skies are clear i will have a go at some of the larger objects.

I will definitely let you know my 1st thoughts, but i am sure what everyone has been saying is spot on. :)

Had the first real clear skies since i received the scope.

Started out at around 10pm and came in at around 1am as i had work early.

Spent around 1.5hrs looking for the Whirlpool galaxy with no luck.

Then i decided to change direction and look for the Andromeda galaxy. Again with no luck. :)

So for the last 30mins i decided to go for Jupiter as i knew i could find that :D

used a 2x barlow lens with a 10mm eyepiece. But Jupiter was still reasonably small to look at.

I could also only just make out the main ring and the colour.

Do i need a stronger eyepiece and a moon filter or is that the best i will get from this size scope?

Jakstaar17, would it be possible for you to give me a rough size of your dob. I should be getting this very scope in a few days,and although I've seen the skyliner 300, I've never had the chance to see the 200. I've got to make a cupboard within a cupboard for the scope to reside in(wife's orders:icon_salut:)

I dare say that somewhere out there on the intertubes there is a size guide,but I haven't found it yet. So any help from your good self,or anyone who has this scope,would be very much appreciated.

I also may have to make the scope sound smaller than it actually is....to fool the missus!!!

Cheers.

Hi Jon,

Just roughly measured my 200p - with it all assembled and the tube pointing straight up, it's about 130cm tall and the base is around 50cm across. Base on its own is 75cm high and the OTA is about 110cm. Fairly rough, but should give you an idea.

It's quite unobtrusive, unlike the 300p which is BIG

Archived