Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Potential Aurora in Northern Latitudes

Hi Iain,

Noticed the report on Spaceweather and as sky is reasonably clear here ( Central Scotland ) we are hoping to see something.

If you manage to get some images we'd love to see them.

Cheers

Frank

Nice if it happens. I'm at 54.8deg North, but there's so much cloud around it looks bleak for me. I have never known our skies being obscured for so long in years. It's depressing.

Good Luck in Sweden anyway Iain.. If you can get some images, we'd love to see them.

Ron.:)

Great to see others are following up - I've just been outside for half an hour and to be honest, there's still too much twilight in the West to discern anything in that direction. I'm going to give it another half hour to darken up a bit then try again. Polaris is of course very high and I have a view to about 10 degrees both east and west of the pole but it is restricted to about 5-10 deg in width on each direction, otherwise I can see well to about 30-40 deg 90 deg each side of the pole.

All I've seen so far is a few bats dive-bombing me. It's a lovely balmy evening out there so and very clear so will give it another go later on.

Imaging is out though since I didnt bring my DSLR this trip! Ah well.

Iain

Well, I went back out and sat for another 40-50 minutes. All I saw was a couple of meteors, one sporadic and one early Perseid - typically bright and slow heading from near the radiant under Cassiopeia east through Andromeda towards the square of Pegasus.

No Aurora to report here.

Anyone else have any luck?

Cheers

Iain

I have heard reports of visible aurora in the north of scotland around 01:00 UT - low green arc with some rays.

Seems a bit over-hyped to me - needs to be pretty energetic for it to be visible from southern england.

/callump

There was a picture by Gary Fildes taken from Kielder Obs on Look North last night showing the aurora (taken two nights ago I think). So it was visible. Very faint and just on the Northern horizon though.

NigelM

We were outside an hour ago and the sky was amazing - cloudy but all different shades of purples, pinks, light reds, and a yellow haze at ground level - quite spooky.

A hole in the clouds due SE was the most amazing deep turquoisey colour. Could this have been an effect from the solar flare recently ejected from the sun?

Never seen anything like it in Leicester - not very far North but worth a mention.

Archived