Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Webcam?

Hi all

Now that I have a scope that can accurately track, the ETX, I am considering trying my hand at some image taking with a webcam. The question comes down to which is the best? Without breaking the bank of course:D

I am also assuming that they work off a laptop computer? Or is that so obvious that I'm embarassing myself by asking it?:)

Unfortunately the best ones are no longer produced:(

Look for a good secondhand Philips SPC900nc webcam. You'll need to add a 1.25" nosepiece adaptor to be able to fit it to your scope, and yes, they are USB and run of the computer.

I just finished my own cheap astro-webcam. I got a Philips SPC230NC my friend was throwing out. Pulled the focuser and lens off and shaped a 35mm film roll to fit the front of it. Taped it on and it works a treat. Just stuck it in my 2X Barlow and it focuses nicely. Just need some clear skies to try it out on something non terrestrial

I'm trying to figure out the exact same thing, and being a newbie please bear with me if this is just a stupid observation. :)

Looking at the Philips SPC900nc camera it has USB1.1 interface and uses the Sony ICX098QB sensor with 5.6um pixels and 640x480 resolution at 15 FPS and a sensitivity of 0,58V 1/30s.

On the other hand the Microsoft Livecam HD has a USB2.0 interface and uses the OmniVision OV9712 sensor with 3.0um pixels and 1280x800 resolution at 30 FPS (60 FPS at 640x480) and a sensitivity of 3,3V/Lux*s despite the smaller pixels.

Both are the same 1/4" chip size, but the Livecam HD seems much better spec'ed ... what am I missing???.

Best regards

Soren

PS: I notice that Sony and OmniVision uses two different units to specify the sensitivity, so I'm not sure how to compare this?.

I have a SPC900 and Neil Philips uses a Microsoft Lifecam HD that I modded take a look at some of the lunar images hes produced with it...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/103040-lifecam-widefeild-experiment.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/103161-more-higher-mag-lifecam.html

I'm amazed how much SPC900's are going for these days... I'm glad I hung onto mine and didnt sell it ... I was goign to use it as an all sky cam with a fisheye lens but it to expensive to use for that..

Peter...

Well, IMHO, the best ones are still produced - Meade LPi, Clesetrom Neximage and Orion Starshoot.

Meade LPI is a toilet roll with a USB socket for lunar and planetary imaging. For spectroscopy it's fine (remove the IR block and mask up the painfully thin case), but for imaging...don't make me laugh

Neximage is a toucam in sheeps clothing...starshoot, not tested

Don't hold back!

I have used the LPi and it is a good webcam for what it is. Let's not forget that not everyone has hundreds or thousands to spend on equipment. If you're just starting out and have a limited budget, than any of the webcams I mention are a good place to start.

They may be 'essentially' SPC900's but you don't have to mess about with adapting them (and not everyone is confident at doing this, no matter how easy it seems!) plus they often come with all the capture and processing software you need.

They might not be up to the same standard as some of the £200 plus webcams (or even more expensive), but don't knock them. they serve a valuable purpose.

I am not knocking the Celestron ...only the LPI it's not the same as the SPC at all, and in fact is IMHO quite shockingly bad as a lunar/planetary imaging setup.. but great for spectroscopy as I said..

And I take no prisoners :-)...

(said in good jest)

I am not knocking the Celestron ...only the LPI it's not the same as the SPC at all, and in fact is IMHO quite shockingly bad as a lunar/planetary imaging setup.. but great for spectroscopy as I said..

And I take no prisoners :-)...

(said in good jest)

i have never used the lpi,meade normally have a good reputation :) and the its not that cheap either,glad i got a spc900 when they were fairly cheap.

Archived