Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Large Mosaic of the sun

Technobill

Hi All,

Just for something different I wanted to try a detailed full disk mosaic of the sun using a barlow on a lunt LS60Tha. The result is a rather large image. Only the smaller version is posted here.

The image is the result of about 25 overlapping panels.

This was my first attempt at a mosaic. There are several flaws but all in all it turned out better than expected.

The full sized images can be found on my home page: Billy D's Front Page

Regards

Bill D

post-15970-133877463028_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Great result Bill. Solar mosaics aren't at all easy and a lot of work has to go into them to get a result. My largest was 126 frames and after that effort I felt mosaic'd out for quite a while!

Yeah it was difficult, as a matter of fact I think I was lucky with that one. I have since tried another and could not get a quality image out of it.

Thanks all, for your comments. I think I was rather lucky to get a decent mosaic image at first attempt.

I am getting that one printed Poster Size.

Bill D

Indeed, it's a very good image, and a good example of a B600 too...so well done.

Largest for me is 61 panes so far..with absolutely nothing on the surface... half killed me putting that one together (so Pete's 126 is just mental :-))

Nice,

I discovered on doing my second one which I havent posted that it is better to have add a few more frames and maybe eben add a few with a slightly more random aproach to the frame distribution. In my second attempt I dilligently scanned accross the surface of the sun one row at a time. But when processed I ended up with light and dark bands that were difficult to remove from the final image. With more overlap I thik this would have been reduced.

Bill D

There are Photoshop tricks which help with bands

I get them at low mag on the pst mod rig

I Use photoshop. But there are sooooo many ways to do things better in Photoshop if you know how.

Would you care to point me in the right direction or is it a trade secret?.

Bill D

Excellent work Bill! Mosaics are certainly for the realms of the very patient!

Great idea getting a poster printed. Perhaps on canvas? It is a worthy accomplishment!

~Sheri

The print will be on Photo paper done through a friend. He a has a nice professional printer. Itll cost me next to nothing for the print. I will spend the money getting it framed.

Bill D

I Use photoshop. But there are sooooo many ways to do things better in Photoshop if you know how.

Would you care to point me in the right direction or is it a trade secret?.

Bill D

Yes...have a look on youtube...

:-)

Nick Howes> imaging the Sun tips and tricks, I think it ended up as one of the last 3 videos..

Archived