My brief time with this hobby.

Sorry this is long winded - I am new to this but I am thinking of selling my Skywatcher 200P I bought a few months back

After lurking around this forum for a few weeks and using bins for a few months I purchased my scope spontaneously.

First night out I eagerly awaited the sun to set and pointed to Venus. I wasn't that impressed with the bright shimmering pin ***** speckle of light I was looking at. I'm not sure what I was expecting to see but for what it was worth it could have been a distant street light I was observing.

I then found Saturn and yes I was quite amazed, very amazed. I stayed out switching between the supplied 25mm and 10mm eyepiece and getting the feel for the scope and the beutifull Saturn.

Over the next few weeks I continued to observe attempting to find new objects using Stellarium and Turn left at Orion with no success - I found myself always turning back to Saturn - The Moon was out for a bit which was good. Mars was OK - a shimmering dot.

Now, looking at Saturn every night is OK but recently I have just started to get frustrated with this hobby.

Firstly lifting the scope out of the house is so precarious - I'm surprised the scope isn't out of line or damaged the amount of times I knock the door-frames or bang it against something - its just so cumbersome and awkward im starting to not bother.

Secondly the objects low in the sky are OK to observe - I get a chair and look but observing higher up I find myself again precariously on my knees attempting to line the thing up then trying to find stuff seems impossible by nudging the scope in small increments in the opposite direction. Its not enjoyable.

So apart from the Moon and Saturn, putting my back and knees out I cant see what's next for me and this scope !

Maybe its the wrong time of year to start this ?

Maybe I'm just not cut out for this ?

Can I get a tripod for the 200P so its easier to use ?

Any other suggestions ?

Don't give up just yet. Summer is a bad season for observing, and as the year goes on more targets start appearing.

I know this hobby can be very frustrating at times.

As soon as the nights start to draw in, I will make a list of targets that I want to observe and I wont give up till I find them.

See if you can purchase a goto mount for your 200. It might just help you to keep the faith.

A tripod mount for a 200 newt will be HUGE (EQ-5 or even 6, I'm guessing), which would mean even more lugging stuff about.

Do you try to carry the whole Dob around in one piece? I have a 10" SNT, which, having the corrector plate fitted, is a hefty beast so I first take out the Dob mount, then the scope, to which I have fitted a grab handle to give a secure grip, the scope easily lowers into the mount Alt bearing.

Practice soon got me used to nudging things a teeny wee bit, that and a decent teflon Az bearing made things rather smooth, so good I'd say, that even folk who have never looked through a scope were able to "drive" the set up.

As for banging it in door frames, I suggest be a tad more careful, it isn't that difficult, I have to wrestle a mental, escapologist of a dog when I'm taking the SNT out.

Also, it isn't the best time of the year in the UK for hunting DSOs as the sky is still too light, but in a month or so you'll see the difference.

Astronomy, like anything new you attempt in life takes a little time to master.

Start by viewing just one constellation; get familiar with the star shapes and look for double stars and star clusters. These are easier to enjoy with your 25mm eyepiece.

A 200mm telescope is a wonderful starting point in this hobby, and it took me a few years to save up ( I used a 2" refractor for around three years...) to buy a "proper" scope - a 6" f8. That was my main scope for almost 10 years. We saw a lot together, fond memories.

Practise, practise, practise. The more you watch, the more you see.

Ken

Don't get disheartened!

I assume that you have the 200p skyliner dobson? I have recently purchased the 200p explorer, which is very similar.

Venus and Saturn are not optimally places right now, being fairly low down means theres more atmospheric interference, and it's not fully dark when viewing them, this has a big impact on the quality you can expect. Saturn takes on a whole other dimension when viewed under good conditions.

Jupiter is on its way, and it is magnificent, don't miss out!

If you're having difficulty finding things, i suggest you read the post i just made called 'Hints and tips' it might help. I don't know what you've been looking for, but i would highly recommend starting with some of the brighter clusters and nebulas, i would certainly make a case for M13, as it's well placed at the moment and is very bright and impressive, and should be visible even in your finderscope.

Summer is certainly not the best time of year for observing, winter nights are longer, darker, and there is generally more to see!

Yes, you could get a tripod for the 200p, a decent one will set you back more than the cost of the scope though, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons i love my 200p though, i put all the money i could into the optics, guaranteeing the best views i could afford, and can later upgrade to a decent mount when funds allow.

If this, along with the portability is really bothering you, perhaps consider trading in your scope for a slightly smaller one with a tripod.

I would strongly suggest buying a barlow lens, it doubles the magnification of any eyepiece, doubling your number of viewing options, and a 200p can really take the extra magnification. FLO sell the tal 2x barlow for £35 if memory serves, i believe that would be a very worthy investment.

if you need any other advice feel free to ask!

Jupiter will be round in a month or two, there's galaxy season coming up towards the autumn, and clusters make nice viewing too approaching Sept.

If you're having to bend/kneel a lot then I'm guessing you have a dob base and looking too low towards the horizon, and a straight through finder. Best viewing is upwards and if you use a bar stool it's much more comfortable on the back. Change the straight though finder for a right angled one and you won't be wearing out trouser knees.

The supplied 10mm ep is usually pretty naff, and the 25mm not the best. I'd suggest a 30mm-40mm wide angle for nebulea, and something around 15mm to extend your range - but read reviews on here and go for better quality and maker (essential on higher powers). There are bargains to be had in the for sale section, and you can gradually replace the others too.

The 200P will go on a tripod mount but try these other things first - you'll be markedly more comfortable I guarantee. Also - join a local astro group - you'll get help on how to find stuff and how to use the scope. Hang in there though, this game is ultimately about patience. ;)

Hope I've helped.

Tom,

Nothing against using a Barlow on the Moon and planets, but for the Novice I'd rather initially recommend a low power eyepiece, a 30mm or 40mm.

Easier to find things in the field of view and star clusters make an easier target. A low power also allows you to compare star colours and gain confidence.

Just my 2c

Yes it is the wrong time of year too, I have never used a Dob but a 114mm reflector on a EQ mount is just as cumbersome to move in and out, fortunately egress is through the sliding patio door.

Maybe its not for you but I have found reading and understanding what's going on up there makes it all the more interesting, uncomfortable viewing positions thats part of the hobby, you can buy or build your own observing chair giving you variable height adjustments, I think the home brew versions are in the DIY section.

Give it a winter first before you give up, then you will appreciate dark skies, cold, dew, neighbours security lights ;)

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess is I'm an impatient [removed word] LOL. Maybe the WOW factor of seeing Saturn for the first time hasn't worn off and I want more WOW factor now of other objects.

Yes Ill wait until Winter and invest in some better/different EPs and maybe think of getting some kind of plynth to put this on.

Thanks again.

I think I went through the same phase, Saturn and the moon were amazing, for a short time. I found I was quickly wanting tracking and soon after wanting to take images.....of course the finances then take a pounding. Summer is the hardest time as other have said, you should be able to see much more once the nights get darker as the 200p is a good scope.

You lack experience thats all.

Your 8" scope under dark skies will be able to see the whole Messier catalogue.

When I started I concentrated on one constellation at a time and noted down all Messier and brighter NGC's within that constellation and learned to star hop to them using a good atlas.

It takes time but can be done.

Myself only getting back into Stargazing late spring summer, i did know what was coming, but it is still frustrating.

Roll on the early nights, cups of coco and the winter skies.

Its all about Orion fo rme!

Orion feels like home.

I use a chair with wheels and it makes it very comfortable to use my 8" dob.

As to finding things, it kind of depends on how much light pollution you have as the number of stars you see naked-eye will vary and with less stars it's harder to pinpoint a spot.

Wait till it's dark enough, learn some constellations so you can use them as post signs, get some free good charts (here) and then pick just a couple of objects per night and be patient.

I would strongly recommend a telrad finder. Before I had one it toke me ages to find anything, now it's really fast.

PS-> If frustration really sets in maybe you can get a 4 or 5" scope with GOTO. That way you'll have no more problems finding stuff.

I Feel like you culater

there is that much too to take in too.

and I Want to see it all NOW.!!! lol

its been there all my life above my head, and never bothered me

but now (must be a mid life crisis for me) I Want to see it now.

so far we have bought the scope but alas not dark enough

or too cloudy or raining or windy.

you can't win, it is heavy I Must admit,(muscles like pop^eye

but o/h is going to try and build some kind of pallet with wheels on

to manover it around the garden.and make it about another 15inch higher.

Also bought 2prs of bins,and seen the undercarrage of 3 planes so far.

and looking at the ISS Through them last night,

Well I Could see it better with my own eyes.

but I Guess its a dark night winter clear skies hobby.

in the cold and damp,

roll on winter.

Patrick Moore never gave up.lol so I'm not.!!!

hang on in there your not on your own.

Chez

Archived