Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The constellation of Aquilla (the eagle) is high in the sky tonight with it's brightest star Altair forming the "summer triangle" with Vega (Lyra) and Deneb (Cygnus).

I found a nice, faint but close, double star not far from Altair - it's Pi Aquillae.

The primary componant (Pi Aquillae A) is mag 5.7 and it's companion (Pi Aquilla :p is mag 6.2. There is a much fainter 3rd star, C, but thats mag 12 and considered an optical associate.

Componants A and B are separated by just 1.4 seconds of arc so a nice challenge for a 6" scope although the relatively equal brightness helps.

With my 6" F/8 refractor I had a clear split of A and B at 240x and 343x but C was (understandably perhaps) not visible. The A componant looked golden in colour while the B star looked paler.

There is another 6th mag star in the high power field of view but not associated.

Another new one to me :D

I was out on Sunday night putting the Meade 12" SCT through it's Goto paces, and after a look at preselected objects like M13, M15, M57, M27. I sought out Beta Cygni, Albireo, which is certainly no challenge as far as separation goes, But It certainly remains among the most beautiful pairs in the sky. As well as dwelling on the beauty of this double, I also noticed the scope needs collimating.:D

Ron.

As well as dwelling on the beauty of this double, I also noticed the scope needs collimating.:D

Ron.

Thats my "problem" with double stars Ron, when I observe them I always end up testing/ adjusting the optics as a result.

Thats my "problem" with double stars Ron, when I observe them I always end up testing/ adjusting the optics as a result.

Oh, I couldn't be bothered to adjust it there and then Gaz. I just made a mental note that it needed attention. I will do it next time out.:D:D.

Ron.

I had a go at this one this morning/last night. With my 4" I could just make out that it was a double which from time to time became fairly clear. I coudn't make out any colour. I think perhaps this is the limit for my scope. I will try again when the seeing is very good.

Dave

Just had a go at this one with my f/5 200mm Newt after reading your post and was pleased to see it very neatly and distinctly split in moments of clear seeing at 333x. My closest double yet, I think, and a sign that my recent collimation efforts have paid off.

Many thanks for highlighting this one.

I had a look at this tonight with the refractor between the clouds. when the clouds cleared occasionally it was actually quite steady. managed to get a clear division at 179x and it was hinted at when at 139x.

also found a few new doubles in Lyra etc but again in cloudy breaks. tried Zeta Hercules again to no avail. I may try it with my newly acquired Castell Oiii filter as sometimes where there's a bright primary and less bright secondary it sometimes helps apparently - screws the colours up I expect though!

I also had a look at Epsilon Lyrae and as expected with he refractor got a nice clean split on both BUT I also seemed to pick up an orange tone to one 1B. Is this likely or was it my eyes?

the ISS was lovely in the thin cloud. looked like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan with a lovely halo around it in the bins before fading to a dot and out in thicker cover.

finally looked at Delta Cygnis and again no issues splitting the secondary - still looks slightly orange to me - maybe my lens has been painted orange by the kids in a spot or two!

cheers all

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Archived