First scope - heavy

Hi dude, I've only just recently acquired a CG5 mount myself and I can remember very clearly being a little taken aback at its size, so your reaction is perfectly normal. I did start off breaking the thing right down each time but now I just remove the OTA and weights and leave the mount on the tripod. It's heavy, no doubt about that, but far easier to move when you haven't got to worry about bumping into stuff with the scope.

You'll come to appreciate the all-round ruggedness and massivity of the CG5 when you've enjoyed a few high magnification sessions with rock solid views and absolutely no vibrations from touching the scope or the breeze.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can sympathise.

When I ordered my MN190 on an EQ6, all I had to go by was the pictures on the intermaweb. I already had my dad's Vixen and the Super Polaris mount (which I considered bulky), and based on the size of that mount I thought I knew how big the new scope would be.

When it arrived, I realised the EQ6 was easily twice the weight of the Super Polaris, if not more. So that meant the scope was huge compared to my expectation, too.

To begin with I was worried I'd have nowhere to store it, and didn't know how I'd move it around every day *.

Three weeks, later, and I'm used to the weight. The secret, I found, was to develop a routine, and to get used to carrying things properly. The EQ6, for example, I carry with my upper arms - I just hook my arms under it, and carefully lift it with my legs. I make sure the mount is locked so it doesn't move unexpectedly. As for the scope, again I just try to keep it close to my body, and try not to pick up or place down the OTA with my back.

As for mounting the scope, I find the way that suits me is to put the mount into "park" position (dovetail saddle pointing towards Polaris), gently place the MN190 on, and then rest it against my belt while I tighten the screws, keeping a good hold of the scope with my left hand. It sounds daft, and to an onlooker probably looks like I'm a little too fond of my telescope, but it feels secure, and allows me to do things in my own time without struggling.

I think the best way is to just take your time setting the scope up and taking it down again, during the day, and work out a way that feels comfortable for you, and seems safe for the scope. Once you've done it a few times it becomes second nature and doesn't seem so daunting.

I've got the moving and assembling bit down to a about 5 minutes, now. All the alignment stuff still takes me all night, but I hope it will improve with practice!

* I've still got nowhere to store the thing, but I'm enjoying it so much I don't even care anymore!

Just a quick tip on storing your cg5 gt...

If like me, you store your mount with the head still attached (without weights or OTA) for speed of use. Make sure there is a bit of oil or grease between the tripod and mount head.

A good reason for this is that it stops your AZ axis from stiffening up, which can lead to baaad things happening (I managed to shear the AZ peg by forcing a stiff mount head while polar aligning).

I have my routine too:

Carry out EQ-6 Pro (on folded tripod)

Then spreader and power lead.

Then counter weights

Then eyepieces

Then OTA. Wedge has a couple of bolts (covered in plastic) at the top so I can hook this over the mount so I'm not holding any weight while tightening things up.

Put the weights on, plug in the electrics, polar align, star align, then we are good to go.

A lot to do, but if you want the views you have to do it.

I agree with others - you have a great scope and once you get used to it, you'll never look back. As hinted at by others though if you get really into the hobby you'll certainly look forward - to great observing nights, your next eyepiece, scope or other such goodies.

One advantage of setting up in three parts not mentioned so far is that even refractors benefit from some cooling time before use. Therefore, Take your scope out first (assuming your observing site is secure) and then it can be cooling for a few minutes before you start observing as you set up your tripod, mount and weights.

good luck with your new hobby!

I swapped an EQ6 for a CG5-GT because health issues meant that I could no longer pick up the EQ6 head, never mind actually on the tripod.

I can manage to carry the CG5-GT on the tripod without too much trouble and the weights and OTA in separate trips.

The EQ6 had been stuck in boxes for years before the swap so it was well worth it for me.

Martyn.

All my stuff has bags for it and when we are our as a pauir we can have the 200 on an HEQ5 up and running in 15 minutes.

One of us take the legs and dumps them down with the correct North oreientation (or close as we can) and puts the tripod spreader on loosely.

While thats being done the other one undoes the mount head from its bag and gets it on top of the tripod and screws it down.

While thats in progress the weights are fitted and power cord attached and hand controller.

Mount is then polar aligned roughly while the other one unpacks the scope. Two of us lift the scope onto its mount and while one of us polar aligns to perfection the other attaces the finder, bungs in a low power EP, connects the power for the fan and starts the fan running at full power.

Quick balance of the scope, set it to park and start Synscan alignment.

It could all be unloaded fast and set-up even in the dark in about 10 minutes if we are on the ball cos we have done it so many times.

Solo - its a lot harder. I find the 200 at the limit of what I can safely carry and sometimes its pretty hairy getting it on the mount.

ps when the 200 arrived by courier we helped him get some of it up the stairs and moved the three cardboard crates into the study and my partner and I just looked at each other with a kind of 'ooops' or 'OMG what the hell did you just buy'

You do get over it though and what looks huge in a flat looks pretty tiny in a field and when you look up at whats up there its really very, very small.

Garry, Astro_Baby has, IMHO, the right idea, split the unit into three lots and use soft carry bags, I am in the process of making carry cases to go in my car for the same scope set up, as the light pollution is high in my back garden. Another point of interest for you, if, as intend, you want to extend into Astrophotography, Skywatcher have produced a focal reducer and field flattener for this scope the 80mm and the 120mm, this will reduce your FL from 9 to 7.6 at a reasonable price, see FLO for details.

John.

A big, sturdy cardboard box with handles does the job for me. All my cables, PSUs, EPs and other bit are in there (space for the laptop too). It also serves as the table for the laptop. After a bit you will devise a routine, mine is now down to 5 trips.

1, Power

2, mount + cg5

3, weights

4, scope(s) + dslr (permanently attached)

5, astro box and foldaway chair

Optional

6, Cuppa (or beer) :D

Garry, Astro_Baby has, IMHO, the right idea, split the unit into three lots and use soft carry bags

Yup - those tough printed canvas shopping bags (used as promotional givaways or otherwise cheaply available) these are what I use to get the stuff in and out of the house.

But I also agree that (depending on your light pollution) a lot of targets for viewing at this time of year don't need precision manual tracking, so a lightweight but stable alt-az mount/tripod and some wide-angle eyepieces will give you a much easier night of viewing pleasure - at least until moon and planets are high enough in the sky to make hauling the EQ mount worthwhile.

I've more-or-less put my HEQ5 away for the summer...

Archived