Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RS 232 to USB converter for SynScan GOTO

^ You need to be careful with converter cables and connectors. They may all look the same but can be internally wired in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways. It's always best to try and find out which ones work or not before you buy.

The KEYSPAN certainly has my vote!

I've used them on all my astro gear, various laptops and all the software...

Never let me down in almost four years of use.

Excellent investment!!

Ken

If you want to be able to get one off the high street instead of the net, maplins do one

USB to Serial 9-Pin Male Adaptor : USB Adaptors : Maplin

It's bidirectional and uses the prolific chipset it's a bit dearer than some of the above but sometimes they have it on promotion at £9.99. You will still need a cable that goes between the 9 pin D-type RS232 connector and your handset. You may have already got one supplied with the handset for updating it. If not it can be made up from components bought from somewhere like maplins. If you dont have this cable supplied with the mount then the astronomiser solution would be the best.

If you have a HEQ5 or EQ6Pro mount and intend to use EQMOD to control it then you would not need a USB to RS232 lead. You can buy a USB to TTL lead that you can wire a suitable plug on the mount end. This would either be a a 9 pin D-type for the EQ6 or a RJ11 for the HEQ5. There is further information on the EQMOD website or on here if you do a search.

Regards

Kevin

• 4 months later...

hi everyone, i've used a rs 232 to usb converter, connects ok, have downloaded the latest firmware from skywatcher but unable to use it as the setup only supports com ports, why isnt there a firmware loader that supports usb ? i cant be the only one with this problem, what is everyone else using ?

regards

Not entirely sure that I understand your question desfletc. Are you trying to update the handset? If you go into system properties/device manager, you should be able to find your usb/serial converter and it will have a COM port number allocated to it.

Archived