Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 1st CCD LRGB image : Be gentle

Catanonia

Well it has been a steep learning curve, almost 12 months now since I 1st picked up a telescope and now progressed from DSLR onto CCD imaging.

Looks like I am eventually getting to grips with the QHY9 / LRGB filter combos and new software MaximDL. Such a steep learning curve.

So here is my 1st ever LRGB my favourite Messier object M51 Whirlpool Galaxy.

M51 2 Hours LRGB.jpg

Only about 2 hours worth in 5 min subs of LRGB channels binned x2. Taken with the QHY9 mono and LRGB filter wheel with no other filters in place.

Taken with the Skywatcher ED120 Diamond F7.5 900mm refractor and guided via a ED80 Pro with QHY5 and PHD.

Processed in MaximDL and CS3

Only some poor flats were added, no darks or bias at the moment, still learning to get and process flats sorted properly yet.

Overall, I am very impressed, definately my best image of M51 i have ever done on a less than perfect 1/2 moon misty night and in about 1/3rd of the time ?

Needs more time to smooth it out = more subs

So be gentle with me ? What you think ?

*Gasp*... I'm a beginner to these kind of aspects, but, given that I'll soon have command of a 4" refractor, the attainability of an image like that with similar backyard equipment really inspires beginners like me to dig deeper into the hobby .. and I suspect, inevitably spend more money :D

Lovely image to be proud of, well done :)

Dave

Thanks guys.

eh, yes my 1st LRGB image, spose it helps I knew the principles from DSLR imaging and asked a lot of questions. I spent a night playing taking test shots, learning maximdl and the QHY9, then went for a short 2 hour imaging session on M51 to put it all together.

Spose I got lucky.

Next target will be about 5 or so hours on M81/82 to see what happens.

Wifey gave me my B present today, a mint WO66 to play with. Can't wait to try heart and soul with that :D

Archived