NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

hev

:) I'm looking for a telescope to observe the moon, jupiter and saturn's rings for starters! I've looked at a few but am now getting confused with the choice and variation out there. HELP!!!

So far I've looked at celestron astromaster 114eq and bresser 70 astronomy starter telescope kit (looking to spend about 100 - 150 pound. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated. (PS would like to use this when we go camping as well as home so need something portable).

try skywatcher 130p dobsonian reflector. Dobs have a simple mount so you get more power for your money.

reflectors however put everything upside down so if you're not interested in deep sky objects, just planets and the moon then maybe try a refractor such as a bresser like you said.

The aperture of a telescope will make things brighter, so the 114 will be able to view more objects than the 70 that are further away/dimmer, however if you are a planetery observer then look for a long focal length, (you'll find this in the scopes specs) something around a 1000mm.

If you want portability then a mini dob such as the skywatcher is a good choice for all round astronomy, anything else try a mid-priced refractor or a Maksutov Cassegrain.

Anything with a 400-500mm upwards focal length will give you good views of what you said.

Rich

Thanks for such a prompt response!

the Bresser only has a focal length of 700mm, will this be any good for observing the planets with any clarity??

yer sure more than mine (650mm), be warned- it wont be like the size of the moon in your eyepiece- itll be more 'pea sized', although with a barlow and higher magnification eyepieces you can zoom in ok although this will degrade image brightness and quality.

Thanks so much for the advice, i've been trawling the internet for weeks trying to weigh up the pro's and con's. I'll probably go for the Bresser, and get some Barlow lenses as suggested.

Will let you know how it goes (won't be getting it until end of June as it's a birthday present)!

Any more ideas/tips would be more than welcome.

Again thanks

no worries!

ive been eyeing up a bresser myself for planetery/lunar viewing for when i have the money. Beeing honest i like the look of them more than anything else but yeah they should be good optics, let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions just ask

oh and check out here http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm it has your choosen scope on it should give u an idea of what things should look like

Archived