Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello Newbie here

Mr Dobby

Hi

Just thought I would slide in and say hello to everyone, my names Phil, haven't been involved in astronomy since i was 15 and now some forty odd years later I thought I would have another go.

July last year started to think about it and bought "Backyard Astronomers Guide" and Nightwatch" to start me off on the reading side, but still needed more info about scopes, equipment and costs.

I found the SGL site last November and a few weeks later I bought a pair of Opticron 10x50 binos from FLO, also downloaded the very helpful stellarium. Since then I've been regularly visiting the forum for ideas and info, and the result is yesterday I purchased via FLO Skywatcher Skyliiner 200P Dob, laser collimator, moon filter and a Wixey.I've no background whatsoever in the academic or scientific stuff so I think that will make me a leisure astronomer with lots to learn. Thanks for your help in getting me to where I wanted to be

Hi Phil,

Welcome to SGL! its great to know your getting back into astronomy and got the kit! Steve from FLO is a great guy and the service is excellent. I myself was going to go for the Dobsonian however wanted to try my hand at astrophotography so went for 130P on EQ2. It sounds like you got a good kit together there and all the best!

Clear skies!

Thanks for your welcome, scope and items ordered 20.4.10, arrived today 22.4.10 exactly as I was told, very good service from FLO so no problems there, its a dob, base and scope already sorted and mounted and all on my own (whose a clever boy then!!!, had the wife been at home it would have been done, dusted, first light report and a good clean whether it needed it or not !!!!!), not enough time to complete it all today and have it ready, so hopefully tomorrow finderscope and scope in aligment etc and I will see completion and a view (ooooh forgot collimation, ah well another 24 hours then), but soooo looking forward to getting, having or obtaining first light tomorrow dependent on clear skies, so hopefully it will be sorted for the evening, learnt one or two things already which I will comment on later from a newbies point of view, but what fun, looking forward to it (don't foul up now phil please or is it pleiades)

Cheers

Phil

Archived