Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hi all

oakwell

hi i'm darren from barnsley and am looking at getting into viewing the night sky. Need some help though looks like my first problem is solved in finding a good forum for help so heres where u come in.

Totally new to this and first question is which telescopes do u recomend looking at spending 100-200 quid (ish) and want to be able to view planets and moon first and expand from there as said dont know alot at minute !

well thats abit about me and hope you can help i will look at buying a 2nd hand telescope if anyone as one that they think will be suitable for me. I must stress that my first scope needs to be one that i wount need to replace in a months time!

thanks for reading and dont be scared to reply i need your help!:D

Hi Oakwell

Welcome to SGL, you've hit one of the best site's on the net.

I don't really like to tell people what kind of scope to buy, a lot has got to do with what you can see from where you live ,are you going to move your scope around a lot,what you want to see. Tell us as much info as you can and we,ll make sure you end up with the right scope.

I always tell newcomers a good sky chart to find your way around the sky and just go out and look up.

Robert

i dont intend to move the scope around to start with but depending how far i get into might change this. i know nothing about the sky well i know its a big area lol, seriously am really new to all this but me and the wifey love sitting out and looking up so though this would be a good move. As said before want summat that will keep me interested and will look at second hand scopes. is that enough?

Hi Oakwell, Welcome to SGL.

Well first let me recommend a free computer software like Stellarium. It really helps you get tuned to what is in the sky at the moment and has loads of features that you cant get in a book. However saying that, i really recommended "Turn left at Orion" it is a very good book that will tell all you need to know about astronomy to get started! things like, where Constellations will be at certain times of the year, and what there is to see in them.

As for scopes. I would consider just buying a new scope for two reasons. First it will be yours and yours alone so you know that you are getting something new that can't have anything wrong with it, And also the amount you are looking to spend can get you a really decent starter scope.

I would recommend buying your scope from somewhere like FLO (link is at top of page) they are a trusted seller and know what they are talking about.

Skywatcher is a good brand that has been very popular with beginners. They offer good all round scopes for views of Planets, Moon stars etc and even some DSO (Deep sky objects) like M42, M44 Andromeda galaxy etc.

For your price bracket i would look at something like the Skywatcher 130p or even the 130p SupaTrak auto

If you are going to keep the scope in one place and are not interested in Astrophotography, maybe something like a Skyliner Dobsonion would be good:)

At the end of the day the thing that really makes the scope is its Appature. This means how much light the primary mirror gathers. Meaning, the larger the mirror, the more light you get so the more you see! this is why the dobsonion with 150mm mirror, rather than 130p with a 130mm mirror might be more beneficial to you!

All the Skywatcher scopes named and more are excellent starter scopes so the choice is up to you!

Hope that helps

Regards,

yep it certainly does i think i am going to go for it seen a good deal on the 130p supertrack auto for 159 with free dvd and free binos.

does the scope need power? i,e batterys or power cable?

Hi Darren,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum and your new scope when you get it, one little bit of advice, if you purchase a scope requiring power, invest in a power pack, otherwise you will have your hand in your pocket to buy batteries all the time.

John.

Archived