Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Woke up early to see if i could catch Orion and M42 (there should only be one 5 o'clock in the day). Came down stairs and put the kettle on and reaslised i hadn't put the light on but could see perfectly. Yup, there was the full moon beaming down on me. Went outside and a nice blanket of thin mist/fog/cloud covered everything with the moon lighting everything like a 100 watt bulb.

I think i might go back to bed.

Gordon

The brightness of the moon is very impressive at the momment.

At my astro society Maurice Gavin showed 2 photographs. One taken at mid-day and the other taken at midnight and the images were almost identical!

Cheers

Ian

I was out for a while last night. Packed it in when the clouds covered up the moon, but went out at about 2AM and found the moon sitting in a nice clear patch which coverd most of the south. The sky was a slate blue with the brightness of the moon and the generally hazy atmosphere. I think that's the colour we're getting the kitchen done the next time Marion decides to repaint.

The sky was truly appalling last night, milky white and misty, which was a shame because I was at the Norman Lockyer Observatory using thier Orion (UK) 12" Newtonian.

I was able to experiment with an OIII filter on the Ring Nebula and was amazed at how much it improved the view! From barely discernible to clear and contrasty :shock:

Went out earlyish to get the HEQ5 aligned and the 200mm newt cooling then went in for a beer while the moon was coming up from behind the house. Checked out M13 and M31, M81 and M82 but the views were less than inspiring as it wasn't dark. Went out later and everything was soaking wet, and the moon was in a tree.

Captain Chaos

I was able to experiment with an OIII filter on the Ring Nebula and was amazed at how much it improved the view! From barely discernible to clear and contrasty :shock:

The OIII does help with blocking out the Moon, not by design more of a bonus feature! :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

According to the blurb:

Baader OIII Filter 31.7mm

The Baader OIII filter offers high contrast views of diffuse and planetary nebula, especially under extremely light polluted skies. The Baader OIII filter is one of the narrowest transmission band OIII filters on the market making it particularly well suited to CCD imaging thanks to its unsurpassed contrast.

Archived