NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Dorset

Llamanaut

Just coming back to observing after a long long break last time i looked through a telescope I was in my teens, im now 40!!!

Have started off by buying some 15x70 bins and am currently reaquainting myself with the night sky, difficult with the weather at the moment!

I'm saving for a decent telescope rather than just jump in with the first one that looks nice. Im after some advice about which one would be best for me, i have no particular favourites refector, refractor, maks etc...... I have set myself a maximum budget of £700, i have an interest in deep sky objects and would eventually like to get into astrophotography.

Im looking for a telescope that provides the best aperture/ performance for the money initially, is fully upgradeable with tracking/ goto at some point and is portable enough to move around... anyone have any thoughts on which scope best fits my needs? :(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Llamafarmer.

Welcome to the forum. If your interest lies in astrophotography then a good quality stable mount that is up to the job is a must if not more important than the actual scope itself.

I am sure that the members here will point you in the best direction to your needs.

Hi Llama and welcome to the group :(

The scope that springs to mind that just about fills all your criteria is the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO. If you wanted to drop a size in aperture you'd also have budget for extras like powerpack, dewshield, e/p's, filters etc. Check it out for a baseline against other suggestions.

Hope that helps :D

Welcome to SGL Llama, if you want to go on to do astrophotography I would suggest a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount as a minimum. If you can stretch your budget a EQ6Pro would be more future proof as it can carry larger/heavier scopes. The HEQ5 will take a 8" newtonian but it is on the extreme for doing astrophotography. A refractor or a 6" newt would give the mount an easier ride. The EQ6Pro would take upto a 10" newt easily for imaging.

Regards

Kevin

Hello and welcome Llama :(

Areyou the chap who breeds and sells Llamas?

If so, you sold some to my friend Rainer from Germany recently!

I'm just down the road in Weymouth if you want any help with anything and I'm happy to be of assistance :D

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, no im not the chap who breeds and sells llamas, i wish i was, thats my dream job! Thanks for the offer of assistance, im sure i'll take you up on it! And thansk to evryone for their suggestions, i had shortlisted the skywatcher 200 just wanted to know what everyone else thought :(

Hi Llami

Welcome to the forum from another newcomer based in Somerset.

I started off with an HEQ5 Pro and a Skywatcher 100ED Pro - and I'm delighted with it. If I had my time again I wouldn't have bothered with the synscan handcontroller and used EQMOD instead from a PC (you can make your own lead up for £20 - my handset lives indoors now and never gets used) and I probably would've gone for the 80ED or something similar for better wide field imaging.

My experience (very limited I have to admit) is that after buying a few extra things over the space of a couple of years (mainly a 70mm WO refractor for about £400 and a webcam off eBay for £10) - I guide using PHD and EQMOD through the 100ED and use my unmodded Canon DSLR to image through the WO..and I thoroughly enjoy it - it gives me more than a enough of a challenge. The point I'm making is that I think that an HEQ5 will allow you to upgrade gradually if and when funds allow.

In case you're interested - I've just brought a CLS CCD light Pollution Filter and I think I can stretch the DSLR (if I get it modified) and my set up a lot further than I'm doing at the moment, so I reckon I'll get at least five year's use and steep learning curve out of my set up before I need any more major money approved by the boss indoors - of course if you want to go with big reflectors - please ignore all of the above!!!!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, i think we're on the same wavelength (we may share a similar boss indoors too!) Ive looked at a few telescopes and the Skywatcher 200 looked like it was receiving the best press... its a big decision because like you once ive bought it its with me for the foreseeable future until her indoors sanctions more money so the ability to upgrade as and when will be a big factor. Im in no rush at the moment even though the bug has bitten me again, im quite happy relearning the sky with my 15x70's. Managed to bag Pleiades this week when the clouds parted for an hour or so and it truly was a 'wow' moment when i raised the bins to them! Here's to clear skies!

Welcome Llama.

Did ever considered 2 telescopes and not just one?

A light bucket for deep sky observind, like a 10" dob... very portable, easy top set-up and very intuitive to use;

And later, when you get to know the sky better and define what kind of photography you'll want to do, a small refractor like a ED80 on a HEQ5 for deep-sky astrophotography or a 6" MAK with a webcam for planetary photography.

Just an idea...

Hi Rui, hehehe, what are you trying to do? bankrupt me? Yes i considered the merits of two or more telescopes and to be honest as things progress i probably will go down that route. To start with however i'm concentrating on learning the sky with bins whilst saving for a decent scope that will tide me over for a few years and allow me to develop my observing skills. Thanks for the steer demonperformer i'll go check them out and yes oly thats why i love llama's... i saw an advert for over 50's car insurance the other day and some woman was featured who actually trains them to retrieve things!!! How cool is that?

HI from me too - for £700 and with upgrade potential PLUS the ability to take the scope as far as you want and do imaging etc I think the SW200 on the HEQ5 would take some beating. Lots of imagers use it, its got enough punch for visual and the upgrade possibilities are pretty limitless. I dont do imaginmg so am not qualifies to comment on imaging but aspects - I;d seriously reccomed getting 'Every Photon Count' by Stsve on the board - its a good book for astro imaging.

Hope thats of some help.

Sorry if this appears anywhere else, thought id post for info...

For amateur astronomers seeking superior equatorial control and the ease of a precision computerized GOTO system, the EQ6 PRO SynScanTM is your answer. The Sky-Watcher EQ6 PRO SynScanTM is designed with the novice user in mind. With the user-friendly pushbutton hand control, locating and viewing the treasures of the night sky becomes as easy as a walk in the park. The hand control allows you to point the telescope at a specific object or even tour the skies at the touch of a button. The user-friendly menu system allows automatic slewing to over 42,000 + objects. Even an inexperienced astronomer can master its variety of features in a few observing sessions. The EQ6 SynScanTM also comes with features that advanced astronomers can appreciate:

• Positioning Accuracy up to 1 arc minute.
  • Accuracy enhanced by software collimation error (mount mechanical error) compensation.
  • Stepper motors with 1.8° step angle and 64 micro steps driven.
  • Slewing speed up to 3.4°/sec (800X).
  • Auto Guider Interface for astro-photography.
  • Guiding speed selectable from 0.25X, 0.50X, 0.75X, or 1X.
  • Object database containing complete M, NGC, and IC catalogues.
  • Minimal vibration for steady long-exposure photography.

Specifications

• Power Supply Required: 12 VDC 2Amp Tip positive (not supplied)
  • Motor Type: Micro step driven 1.8° stepper motors
  • Resolution: 0.144 arc sec (or 9,024,000 steps/rev.)
  • Slew Speeds: 2X, 8X, 16X, 32X, 64X, 400X, 500X, 600X, 800X Gear Ratio: 705
  • Tracking Rate: Sidereal, Lunar, Solar
  • Tracking Modes: Dual Axis, R.A. Tracking
  • Alignment Methods: One-star Alignment, Two-star Alignment, Three-star Alignment
  • Database: 25 user defined objects. Complete M, NGC, and IC catalogues. Total 42,000 + objects.

Mount Specifications

• Mount Type: German Equatorial
  • Telescope Mounting: Tube Rings
  • Slow-motion Control: R.A. & Dec (motor controlled)
  • Tripod: 2" Diameter Stainless Steel Pipe
  • Tripod Height: 85-147cm
  • Tripod Weight: 7.5Kgs
  • Counterweight Shaft Daimeter: 1.8cm
  • Counterweight Shaft Material: Stainless Steel
  • Mount Weight: 16Kgs
  • Mount Height: 41cm
  • Counterweight: Two, 5.1Kgs each
  • Total Weight: 23.5Kgs (counterweight not included)

"Best for heavy scopes".... "We practically had to thump it to induce any vibrations"

BBC Sky At Night Magazine

"I like these mounts, they are solid, well thought out and work quietly and effectively"

Astronomy Now Magazine

Related Manuals

Archived