Hello and Advice Needed

Hello All

Just came across this website and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

Like so many others myself and my wife have been watching the BBC2 program Wonders of the Solar System (although I suspect my Wife's interest is more into the presenter) :D

I would like some advice on binoculars as I don't really want to pay out a lot of money for a telescope if I find my interest dwindles, plus with a pair of binoculars I can take them away on my forthcoming honeymoon to Sri Lanka and use them for normal day viewing!

I've had a look of lots of suppliers websites and the choices appear endless..

I was hoping someone could assist me - I've seen some which seem to fit all the requirements but I'm not sure which would be best!

Helios Naturesport-Plus - 8x40 WA

Helios Naturesport-Plus - 10x50 WA

Celestron Skymaster 15x70

They can all be found on various sites for around £80

If anyone can recommend anything else around the £80 mark that would also be great.

Thanks for your assistance

Phil :(

Bresser do a pair of 10x50 binos for under £30 which are great. Nothing wrong with the binos you have mentioned but I'd avoid the 15x70's unless you have a tripod as the weight issue start becoming a problem.

Binos are probably the best way to get started in this hobby. They give you the best view of several objects out there in the universe and give you a good enough view of a few more to nudge you in the direction of your first scope.

A dark sky site is required to get the best out of them. Remember to let your eyes get dark adapted.

Stellarium will show you where to look. Its free and easy to use.

Welcome to the forums and dont be afraid to ask questions

for astro unboubtedly the 15x70s will be much much better but they are quite heavy and would not be comforatble at all for terrestrial veiwing unless you are very very strong (also, the higher power exaggerates any "shake"). You would really need a tripod too to get the most out of them for astro.

10x50s are great all rounders IMHO.

having said that, take one look at the (night) sky throuigh 15x70s from a reaosnably dark site and you cannot fail to be hooked. :(

A warm SGL welcome to you both. I hope you have a good time here.

10X50's are a nice size and weight for comfortable viewing.

Any larger, and you will get aching arms holding them up for long periods, unless you put them on a mount.

I admire your decision to settle on Binos rathjer than a cheap telescope. They are a great Astro tool to get started with.

Ron.:(

Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick replies - I knew posting on here would be the right idea.

In terms of the Bresser ones you mentioned I've think I've located them in Maplins for £30 -

Bresser 10 x 50 Binocular : Outdoor Optics : Maplin

I hope they are the right ones.

Is it worth buying something that cheap or if I can afford it to buy something of better quality like the ones in my link above?

Also if you had to choose would you pick the 10 x 50's or the 8 x 40's as there is only £5 difference in them!

Hi Phil,

Welcome to SGL.

LIDL still have the Rocktrail 10x50's in stock when I was in yesterday. Priced at £13.99. They look identical to the Bresser's they have sold in previous years only costing a little more. But still exceptional value and very good quality bin's to get started in the world of Astronomy.

Rocktrail 10x50 Binoculars @ LIDL

Peter

Thanks for the replies

While I'm here I might as well ask another question - once I have my binoculars can you recommend a 'dummies' guide to finding planets/star clusters in the night sky otherwise I might end up just looking at the space station or satellites passing overhead!

This may be of interest to you, 10x50`s will have better light gathering than the 10x40`s, Sky @ Night did a review in 2008 of bino`s suitable for Astronomical work, Strathspey.co.uk if I recall came out at the top with their 10x50 Marine bino at a cost of around £75, they have a good spec and are waterproof to boot, have a look in our bino`s section you may also find something in their.

HTH.

John.

They are worth having. I doubt if you'd notice any difference between the bressers and the more expensive options. Save your money for a scope where quality really does matter is my advice.

Go for the 10x50s The 10 is the magnification the 50 is the lens size in mm. The larger lens size lets in more light which is more important than the magnification IMHO. When I first started I thought that the whole purpose of a scope or binos was to make things look bigger. I now know that light gathering is at least as, if not more, important.

Having said all that most binos are fine for astronomy. Its really hard to get a bad pair of binos. Telescopes are different however. With them its very easy to buy a dud. If you do get hooked and want a scope ask on here for advice.

To help you find your way about you can download the free program Stellarium or a program called TUBA which is a dedicated set of star maps and other info created by the author Philip S Harrington specifically for binocular Astronomy, this can be

downloaded free from his web site.

John.

Thanks All - Loving all the advice, makes decisions a lot easier and I will be posting again soon if I decide to move up market and purchase a telescope as that looks like a minefield as well!

Will speak to Maplin about ordering some of those Bressers as you are probably right I will not be able to tell the difference.

Will have a look at those programs mentioned as well and also the books so I can refer to it while out and about

Welcome to SGL: i must agree 10X50 to start is very good , because of our dark skies here in Canada i can see multitudes of object , a couple of exampples M27 dumbell, and M51 wirlpool just with my 10X50s, remember these are very small, but unmistakable ... your on the right track..

RCFMitch

Thanks for all your help

I've ordered a pair of binoculars from Maplin and fingers crossed they should arrive today!

I'll be visiting Waterstones soon to pick up a book and I downloaded Stellarium last night and had a quick look - just need to work out what I'm looking at now :D

The great thing about bins is they are better for starting out but I still find them incredibly useful a few years on as a supplement to the scope.

I'd agree. When I'm setting up, my Binos are right there with my eyepieces. (Lidl's £13.99 Rocktrail 10x50s) Best binos I've ever had. Crystal clear with excellent clarity. Resting them on fence post I can even make out Saturn's rings.

Welcome to SGL: i must agree 10X50 to start is very good , because of our dark skies here in Canada i can see multitudes of object , a couple of exampples M27 dumbell, and M51 wirlpool just with my 10X50s, remember these are very small, but unmistakable ... your on the right track..

RCFMitch

I'm envious! I really struggle to see M51 on a clear night directly overhead with my mak 127 on lowest power (37.5x) due to LP.

Mark (SE UK)

" just need to work out what I'm looking at now"

That'll be clouds.v:D

Astronomy law No1. Any astronmical equipment arrives at your location at the same time as a now stationary warm front.

Sure enough last night planned to use my new bino's and the only thing I could see was clouds! :(

Hi Brigh and welcome to the group.

The only thing I'd add to all the good advice above is that if ever you are out in the field away from the computer, I found that a planisphere is very usefull whilst learning the sky. I used it a lot with binocs when I first started in the hobby.

Also - if you do upgrade to a telescope eventually - keep your eye on the for sale section of this forum - often great bargains at a fraction of the new prices :(

Archived