Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help I need to know if this any good!

I definitely agree with the above. Seben do not have a good reputation.

You can get a Skywatcher 6 inch from First Light Optics for £219. This is what I have, as have many others on this forum. I've got nothing bad to say about it, and they've improved the focuser since I bought mine.

I agree with what others have said, stay clear from Seben, I was in the same position as you and nearly bought one but luckily the nice people at my local astro club steered me away from it and recommended a good quality dobsonian which they were kind enough to semi-permanently loan to me :headbang:

For £180 you can get a 6 inch Skywatcher dobsonian reflector from First Light optics, link at the top of the page.

Take it from one who learned the hard way, dont touch Seben scopes with a Barge-Pole. :headbang:

You did the right thing by coming on here and asking for advice before buying.

The best advice I could give you is to always come onto this forum and ask for advice before making any Telescope purchase. :p

Oii !!

Don't knock Trabies.

At least they run ! :headbang:

I used to live in Leipzig and saw various wonderfully pimped Trabbies - flames up the wheel arches, etc. The one that made me laugh the most had, in huge Germanic writing across the back window, "MEN OF STEEL DRIVE CARS OF PAPER"

Just as an aside, are the mounts as bad as the optics ??????

Sadly, yes :p

. I know that most EQ mounts ( excluding high end stuff) are mass produced in China,and I'm not saying thats a bad thing, but the mount that came with my Seben scope looked like it had come straight from the "rejects" skip outside a GSO factory. :headbang:

Sadly, yes :p

. I know that most EQ mounts ( excluding high end stuff) are mass produced in China,and I'm not saying thats a bad thing, but the mount that came with my Seben scope looked like it had come straight from the "rejects" skip outside a GSO factory. :headbang:

Sorry I know I shouldn't, but had to laugh ,just wasn't expecting that !

The Seben scopes and mounts aren't produced by one of the bigger Chinese manufacturers such as GSO, but by one of the smaller low end manufacturers that make cheaper copies of other Chinese stuff. Sort of a knock off of a knock off. The only decent stuff I've seen from Seben are some of the eyepieces that they've bought in from GSO.

John

David O, sorry, your right the Trabant is a runner :headbang: . I have to admit here that I did not give my Seben a good enough try. The next clear night I will pit it against my Celestron and see what I get. I will use the both sets of optics on both scopes and will let you know the results here.

Jim

As everyone says avoid!

You should consider carefully exactly what you need the scope to do.

I made the mistake of buying what I wanted and not what I needed.

Make no mistake the SW Explorer 150p eq3-2 I bought is a fantastic scope but for the observing I do, I now know the Skyliner 150 Dob would have been far more suitable and budget permitting the 200 version would have been even better.

What I'm finding is even with practice the eq mount feels sort of counter intuitive I can't explain it any better.

My need for a scope that was easy to store in my caravan and be easy to set up and use would on reflection have been better served by a Dob.

In answer to Spocks original question.

You would find a scope from one of the reputable scope manufacturers more satisfying as they are tried & tested

Be prepared to ask the experienced members of this forum loads of questions,

They've been there and know the perils and pitfalls.

Archived