Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from SE London

haydn

Been lurking a while, thought I'd pipe up and say hello.

Don't have a scope yet, been doing all of my stargazing through my birdwatching binoculars. I went to a Guildford Astronomical Society open evening last autumn and thought it was great. Now I want a telescope!

After much reading on the subject (here & elsewhere) and a visit to a couple of shops, I'm itching to go out and buy one. A 6" Newton on an EQ3 - does that sound okay for a beginner? Celestron or Starwatcher? So many questions, so few clear nights :)

Hi Haydn

A warm welcome to SGL

The 6" Newtonian on the EQ3 will give ayou a great start to this hobby. There's not much between the SW and the Celestron version - both now owned by the same company (Synta) and probably made in the same Chinese factories. Have a word with our sponsor - FLO

Steve

Guildford are one of the more active clubs. Have you tried Croydon or Orpington Astro Societies, they maybe closer to you (SE London?). What scope you want depends on what you want to observe and where and how often you want to observe. There is no right answer. It might be that a moderate equatorially mounted scope would be best or a small refractor or a larger dobsonian..... Go and bounce ideas off people and get some observing time. Then as you understand what is available and how things work and what you like you can refine your ideas. I am still refining mine after many years as circumstances change.

All the best. See if you can get to Astrofest 2010 in Kensington Town Hall this Friday/Saturday (5/6th Feb).... lots of people and lots of vendors, go and find stuff out!!

PEterW

Hi from me too - I imagine you were at one of Guildfords public events last year - maybe at Newlands Corner. I was at a few of them.

Yes that was the one - last October maybe? Were you at that one?

Thanks all for the welcome :)

Archived