Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi new member - um that's me.

greenninja

Hi everyone

My name is Paul, I'm from Kent in the UK

I've just signed up for some advice and guidance (that'll be another thread). I thought I'd introduce myself kind of fill you in on where I'm at astronomically.

Over the years I've had a number of entry level 'scopes - a couple of no name refractors, the usual Tasco and finally a Soviet era 4 inch Newtonian (I think it was roughly the same as the brand now known as TAL). The reflector was pretty good optically but it think it was made of the bits the russians had left over from the Red October - as it weighed a ton and wasn't very portable. I sold that scope a few years back and I'm currently 'scopeless. Although I have reasonably good knowlegde of the sky I still struggle with some of the fainter constellations (I've always lived in a fairly light polluted area!).

I've kind of come back to astronomy via photography - I've been shooting the moon with a 400mm lens and kind of found myself drawn toward the idea of a telescope (which will form the basis of a thread in the equipment section).

Hope this is not too waffley and hope you all don't mind some dumb questions while I get myself up to speed.

In the meantime - here's one of my moon captures shot handheld on an Canon EOS50D with a Sigma 120-400mm zoom (hope this OK in intro thread!)

4316555327_1d89c2467b.jpg

hey, im nat, or natty, i'm a noob too, and everyone on here is just amazing. i've only recently been given my first scope for xmas, and everyone's helped me fine tune my kit. You'll benefit so much from the advice on the forum, I have immensly and i only joined a few weeks ago.

hope the weather is better down your way

ciao

Nat

xx

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome - looking forward to becoming an active member where I can (I have a feeling it will be mainly questions first!).

The web has added so much to astronomy - I do wish it had of been around when I first started messing around in the mid 80s!

Thank again to all - I've been trawling through the forums, there's some great information here. The images in the astrophotography section are great. I must confess to be feeling quite inspired right now - though I could do some naked eyes stuff, but it's raining !

Hi, Welcome to SGL, Im a newcomer too, btw do you have a green ninja??

Certainly do - it's hibernating right now, with the battery trickle charging in my kitchen. With spring on it's way I'm looking forward to riding it shortly (I'm a distinctly fair weather biker)

Archived