Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from across the pond!

omahaastro

Hello, my name is Jeff Huston, an amateur hailing from the cold, snowy plains (my ancestry places me some where in Scotland by the way). I just happened across this fine forum while googling 'DMK21'. Looking forward to picking up another perspective on the hobby (I also frequent cloudynights.com). I'll add that my wife bought me a copy of Astronomy Now magazine a while back, which I really enjoyed.

Clear skies!

Jeff

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all!

I'll bet it gets a damn site colder in Omaha !!

You betcha... currently at -5 C (actually has warmed up a bit). The cruel thing is... we'll be in the mid to high 30's come summer time (oh, and 60+% humidity). We do have some pretty dark skies nearby though. I have one kid left in the house... once I send them on their way, the wife and I would like to re-locate to New Mexico, where I hope to supplement dark skies with mild winters!

Thanks Talitha! ... although are you sure you have those units right? (or perhaps you're talking windchill :)) ) ! I know you can get cold over there in Wisconsin as well, but that sounds like International Falls rivaling cold!

Yes they're accurate, Jeff. No wind chill, it's just another one of our mild cold snaps. Sometimes a big arctic blast settles on the area and lasts several days though, and the lows/highs are -40C/-24C. But thankfully that only happens once every few years. :)

No doubt... looking at the almanac, it looks like I've got about 10-15 degrees on average on you (unfortunately, in the summer as well) over there in Wisconsin. I guess that just makes you that much more hardy, huh? :)

Thanks everyone!

what's the low down on why your president is no longer going to the moon? Not personally of course!

Yeah, as I said on another thread... it's rather depressing to think of the space exploration programs we could be undertaking... manned and unmanned if we weren't blowing all of our money in Iraq/Afghanistan (and any number of countless other bases we're intent on maintaining throughout the world for that matter).

Hello and welcome Jeff :)

Had a quick look at your local society site....some great parties from the look of things....love the camo green fork mounted newt....it looks like something military!!

Cheers

Rob

Archived