NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Persieds or maybe not

russ

I sat outside in my Muskoka chair for about an hour last night, hoping to catch some meteors. There was also a -8 Iridium Flare due. As time went on, and I didn't see any meteors, restlessness set in, as it will, and I got up to check whether my pond pump was working OK, and if my fish were active, when I finished doing that, I looked at my watch, and realized that I had just missed the flare, and still hadn't seen any meteors. It was completely clear last night, although the transparency was the usual carp. The moon probably didn't help, even though it was quite low in the south.

they tend to be long lasting, but some are quick.

I once told my whole company about the upcoming shower. I played it up pretty big, and some went out or promised to. Chief among them was the Vice President of Engineering, Jim Chumney, my boss's, boss's, boss's boss. He was pretty excited, feeding off my enthusiasm. I went out to a very remote site, (which was remote even by my standards), and saw meteors all over the place. I lost count over a 4 hour period after 600 something. Monday, back at work I popped my head in the VP's office and asked how he did. He said, "Two. I saw two. I can go out any night of the week and see two." He was ticked off. I asked where he went. He said, "Out on the back porch." "In Phoenix?" "Yes." "Well, duh!" Ever since then, if I go out "any night of the week", I make sure I hit, "the Chumney Minimum" of meteors before I go back in. :D

In that case, I'd suggest you lay in your chaise lounge, or a sleeping bag on the ground and face generally to the darkER part of the sky and watch carefully for very fast moving, faint meteors. Perseids generally don't generate a lot of big fireballs, but sometimes you'll get lucky. You should see the Chumney Minimum at any rate. :D Happy hunting, everyone!

In that case, I'd suggest you lay in your chaise lounge, or a sleeping bag on the ground and face generally to the darkER part of the sky and watch carefully for very fast moving, faint meteors. Perseids generally don't generate a lot of big fireballs, but sometimes you'll get lucky. You should see the Chumney Minimum at any rate. :D Happy hunting, everyone!

Last night I did exactly that, and saw a bright meteor just after I sat down. I stayed for almost an hour, and didn't see another (#*&$)( one. Grrrr...

Yeah, you need to be on the ball for these guys, they flash across the sky at such speed that I sometimes wonder if I really saw them or just imagined it. About one a minute has been my maximum view, although if some (all?) of them were phantoms, then less!

Seriously though, in my experience, they are quick and easy to miss. Makes your eyes water trying not to blink!

Gary

OK. I stayed outside for about an hour and three quarters. I realized after a few minutes that the sky was as dark and transparent as it's been in a while, so I set up the scope, and tried to see M81/82. Couldn't come upt with them so I tried for M13, successfully, then went after the dumbbell, but got dizzy trying to aim the scope at something that high up.

So, I sat back in my chair, and watched for meteors again. In the time I spent outisde, I saw two Perseid meteors, and one sporadic. Three more than I usually see, anyway.

Clouds were thick here in the early evening so I sat indoors watching TV and having a few beers.

Around about midnight I had a quick peek outside whilst locking up for the night and the sky was

totally clear!

I was a bit too tipsy to even think about carrying one of the 'scopes outside, so I just settled down in

a reclining garden chair and soaked up the view.

I stayed out for about half an hour or so ( the midges were eating me alive !!) and saw around six or seven meteors

shooting overhead.

The moon was rising over my horizon not far from Perseus and the sky was pretty washed out and grey, so

I went back indoors again.

Tonight , no matter how cloudy it is in the evening, I'm going to set up my 10" Dob to cool down, just in case the skies clear again.

It was so frustrating last night looking up and knowing I could have had great views of M13 and M57...stupid weather!!! :D

Cheers, Bob.

Archived