Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ever so slightly fed up!

TheThing

Driving home from my last appointment about 4:25pm round the M25, I could see the moon quite clearly. Nice clear skies for tonight, I thought.

Just got the little one off to bed, SWMBO is in the bath, so thought I'd set up for a long overdue observing session.

No such luck, a huge swath of high cloud has wafted in from somewhere. I can make out (dimly) the moon, mars, Betelgeuse, Rigel and....that's it! Can't see nowt else!

I hate thick grey cloud, but I hate the tantalising promise of a clear night, which is then cruely snatched away, even more. The cloud God's must hate us!

Yep - I just got my 6" refractor cooled to get 15mins on the moon at around 5:30 pm then the cloud thickened and thickened. I've just looked out and it's much clearer now but pretty nippy ..... might just pop the scope out to cool again though.

Well, at least the clouds love all of us equally.... here's my logbook reports for the last five days:

When i looked up to check the sky,

A snowflake landed in my eye.

:)

Hahahha ;), over here it's

When I cast my eyes above, I frown

'Cos lots of rain is coming down....

Last night was clear but numbingly cold -6 to -7. Saw a fuzzy Mars, Orion nebula and the moon - spectacular - moon's a bit too bright really for seeing much else. These temperatues just drain the heat out of you. After an hour and a half I called it quits and went in to thaw out the extremities.

Well it's been beautifully clear the last 2 nights here in Wisconsin. Unfortunately when the clouds leave, so do the decent temperatures... it's been going down to -26C. Needless to say, the only Flame Nebula i'm interested in, is the one in the woodstove. :)

Yesterday we had 5 mins of clearish sky - the first since the start of Jan, and then... it clouded over and started snowing. This morning we have an average of 3 inch - its drifted - 1 to 6 inch! Arghhhhhh.

Archived