NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's coming...It's coming...

daz

My Skywatcher 200 is on it's way - and boy, can I NOT wait !!!

Got it from Warehouse Express in the end, but only because they do 9 months interest free credit!!

Looks like my 114 Atlas will be passed down to the Boy Wonder (he who came out last Friday to the dark site, and was asleep before I finished setting up the scope!!), either that or I will convert it to a solarscope (a la Astroman) and stick a motor on the mount for the camera. Blimey, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about :)

A very impatient Daz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Daz, is that the Skywatcher 200 on the HEQ5?

If so you may want to keep the 114 as a portable scope that you can chuck in the car for things like holidays... The HEQ5 is pretty big and so's the 8".

I upgraded from a Europa 150 for a skywatcher 200, and the size difference in the tube alone was massive...

Enjoy, when iot due to arrive?

Ant

Hi Ant

Yes, it's on the HEQ mount - and when you consider that the bulk of the cost is the mount, at £539 it's still a good price.

And you're right, I then have options on the 114...will probably still stick a motor on at some point and double the mount as a driven camera mount.

Hopefully, it will arrive before the weekend - let's just hope the clouds play ball!!

Yep, nice setup. Plenty of aperture on a rock solid mount. At f6 it won't be too picky on the collimation either.

Daz,

How are you going to power the mount? The batteries can get expensive - I use the portable Aldi powerpacks, it only cost the same price as two sets of batteries.

Hi guys

Yes, it is an f5 Gaz...

I've just started looking at powerpacks - I know that Maplins do one, and I have guy at work checking on RS as well. Any other recommendations would be useful.

Sub-question: If I want to run my laptop in the field, I need an inverter - correct??

Darren

BC&F doone but it's expensive compared to the Lidl / Maplin/ Rs versions.

I beleive that Macro are selling the Invertors at the moment quite cheap.

There's a thread about them somewere about the loung - I'll have look for it and repost here when I find it!

Ant

For a start you can use a film canister with a small hole drilled in the centre of one end... works a treat and cost's but a few pence.... Boots will let you have an old one if you haven't got one lying around.

Once you've rough aligned with the film canister then the next step is a mag2 star!

Have fun, I love collimating me! NOT

Ant

Thats the type of thing you want Daz, but it only has 1 'cigar lighter' power out, if you want to run your laptop and your mount you'll need one with two. Mines got an air compressor as well, I've turned it on by mistake a couple of times, it makes a right racket at 2am!!!

The BC&F stuff is a con, they put the word "astro" in front of an everyday object and then try a charge you double. All of a sudden a £5 cheapo torch become an "astro torch" costing £14.99!!

How true Gaz...

But in their defence the BC&F astro Power station is well worth the extra 20 quid... it has a peice of thin red plastic over the light at the back... for me worth every penny extra!!!

Ant

How true Gaz...

But in their defence the BC&F astro Power station is well worth the extra 20 quid... it has a piece of thin red plastic over the light at the back... for me worth every penny extra!!!

Ant

Its not for me to defend BC&F but ... don't they also supply it with the relavant DC lead for your scope (with the correct polarity!)?  And, if price is all important, why do we still go to restaurants?

Steve :)

PS: Personally, I think the Compact Astro Powerstation is a better product for all but the most power-hungry set-up - that is if you can still find one, they are thin on the ground at the moment.

It's here!!!!!

It arrived today whilst I was in France for the day (work I'm afraid - not a booze cruise), and am really too knackered to set up - have unpacked it (couldn't resist it :)., but will play tomorrow.

I *know* you all know what it looks like, but I'm gonna post a pic anyway....... :)

I was up a 3:45 this morning to go catch my flight, and the sky was beautifully clear. Orion was well up over the horizon and of course, Mars was high, bright and a very nice orangey colour. Can't wait to get the scope up and running.........

Darren

DAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gutted.

I completely unpacked the scope yesterday with a view to assemble and take aforementioned piccy - I did not anticipate the mount being as heavy as it was - WOW! I'm going to enjoy carting that around :)

Anyway, I got everything unpacked and laid out, unwrapped the tube from carton - and there is a scratch down one side, near the focusser :) :) :)

I know it does not detract from the optical performace of the thing - it's just annoying, you know???

Anyway, I shall be on the phone tomorrow, I don't anticipate there being a problem in exchanging the tube, but I shall wait until everything is perfect before posting the piccy.

Everything else is great and I can't wait for First Light. I didn't get a 2" eyepiece in the end, instead there was a 25mm, 10mm and Barlow 1.25", so the Boy Wonder will be getting those for the 114!

Daz

Have a word with the supplier and say that the 2" EP was missing and they may send you one - James did that and he got one sent through.

Really sorry about the scratch down the tube - it won't affect performance but thats not really the point!

First light??? that'll be a while then with the weather going really sh*te...

Ant

We go to restaurants because they offer better food, cooked for you and in nicer surroundings.

For powerpacks, if two products do the same job and one is cheaper.....well.. :)

I really should learn not to rise to the bait …

A restaurant employs staff with knowledge and experience so that the same basic product – food – is better prepared and presented in an enhanced environment…  Similarly, some retailers sell better prepared products (ie: PowerStations with red safe-light filters and correct polarity DC leads) served in an enhanced environment (showroom with scopes, eyepieces and related astro kit). 

I am not against warehouses, ebay or one man and a dog outfits trading from bedrooms or sheds … they charge less because they offer less, which is right and fair. 

But, let us be fair when we make comparisons.  Food is supposed to be cheaper at supermarkets and takeaways and we don’t criticise a restaurant for charging more … do we?! 

Thank you for suffering that …. I feel much better now.   

Listen, all this talk about restaurants and food is making me REALLY hungry!!!!!

Got scope all sorted - new tube on it's way. What a helpful bunch of peeps!!!!

You're right Ant - forecast is looking diabolical, frustrating or what!!!!

DJ

Er yeah not half....

I went to visit Russ the other day.

I needed some PC hardware to help sort out my problems, and I said that Russ could borrow some bits and bobs from my kit in return.

So we ended up swapping a USB2 PCMCIA card, external HDD, Orion electric focus kit and a Baadar LPR filter (russ to me) and in return I lent Russ a Toucam PRO SC1, 2" Radian 32mm EP, a 2" 2x Barlow and a Astronomik CLS filter.

And guess what???? Not a clear night to be had for ages now! Looks like the cloud rule applies to swapped equipment as well as new purchases...

Ant

Archived