Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi, just to hello

steviestuboy

hello, I'm a bit of a newbie, have seen this forum a few times and finally bought a small scope, I thought I would maybe make some friends and get some advice.

I am really looking for help using my beginners scope - don't want to end up disillushioned just because I missed an obvious trick.

Would also like to get an idea of what my scope is capable of and how it could be improved.

:)

Hi and welcome to SGL :)

As you say it's a beginners scope but very capable of showing the major Messier objects such as M31, M81/82, M13, M42 etc. You should also be able to capture numerous binary stars.

Download a freeware copy of Stellarium, set your location on it and it will show you exactly whats above at any given time.

I've had a dose of stellarium before, penicillin cleared it up.

All joking aside i downloaded the program and its a lovely little tool thanks for the advice.

I'am looking forward to getting my first views of the planets, any advice what eyepiece's would enable me to get the most from my little godwand.

Cheers again for your help and looking forward to having a few laugh's and becoming an active member of the forum.

ps most deep sky observing (nebula and star clusters) is done with quite wide angle eyepieces of around 30mm.

Magnification is normally x2 for each mm of aperture. For your scope that works out at x228. However UK skies rarely permit seeing above x200 and I find mostly I'm limited to about x135 even with a larger scope than yours.

Magnification is calculated by focal length of scope (1000mm for your scope) divided by EP size so for instance a 10mm EP will give you x100 magnification.

A 5mm would give you x200 magnification. Planets can usually take relatively hig mags but I'd advise get some eyetime in before you buy much.

Decent Plossly type EPs can be had for around £20 new but some people (me included) find high power Plossls (say below 10mm) uncomfy to use.

Hope that helps....

pps Your scope spec states 1000mm Focal Length which seems a bit odd against its picture. Does it have some kind of built in barlow lens do you know ?

A Barlow just doubles the focal length so doubles tha magnification as well.

Thank you all very much for the lovely welcome to the forum.

I have already ordered Turn left at Orion from amazon £16, and can't wait to get my teeth into it.

Astro, regarding your pps, you're right, it does seem odd, in the manual it states Optical tube length as 510mm and focal length as 1000mm and focal ratio f/9

The two eyepieces are 20mm (50x) and 10mm (100x)

I'm not really sure what to make of this, are they measuring the path of light down and back up to the secondary to get the 1000mm???

So this leave's me with the only real possibility, this being the jewel that it is in the Celestron crown, they are clearly using magic.

Thank you all very much for the lovely welcome to the forum.

I have already ordered Turn left at Orion from amazon £16, and can't wait to get my teeth into it.

Astro, regarding your pps, you're right, it does seem odd, in the manual it states Optical tube length as 510mm and focal length as 1000mm and focal ratio f/9

The two eyepieces are 20mm (50x) and 10mm (100x)

I'm not really sure what to make of this, are they measuring the path of light down and back up to the secondary to get the 1000mm???

So this leave's me with the only real possibility, this being the jewel that it is in the Celestron crown, they are clearly using magic.

Hello there,

The Celestron Astromaster 114EQ does indeed have a focal length of 1000mm in a short tube. In the bottom of the focuser there is a corrector lens to shorten the focal path and bring the overall length of the tube down to 510mm. Before anyone asks, if you remove the corrector lens it does not become a 500mm focal length telescope. The primary mirror still has a focal length of 1000mm, you just wont be able to focus the telescope.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Archived