Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Very First Attempt!

Astrosurf

Hi all,

I managed to get some low-quality images with a simple webcam and used Registax for the first time. I'll have to increase the image size next time! :) It's not brilliant but I've done it at (very) long last!

EDIT: I've replaced the images with JPEGs!

post-14350-133877418268_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877418271_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877418273_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877418276_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877418278_thumb.jpg

They look pretty good Alex, especially for a first attempt. Did you downsize once finished, or is that the size you captured them at ? (It's best if you save as jpg if/when you want to embed in a thread, tif's are great for further processing, once you've finished in regi).

I didn't know how to increase the size at the time! Yes, I should have saved them as jpegs. I thought that afterwards!

The cam has different output sizes. The largest is 640 x 480 at max 15 fps. I assume that's how you increase size?

That's a damn good set of images... The more frames the better for the stacking.

Re-run the AVI's through registax and play with different quality settings, to see which works best.

Try to keep the frame rate down to 10, that will most likely be uncompressed. 15fps or higher will be compressed.

Ant

Many thanks John. I'll try them out! Is it likely that this webcam produces poor-quality pics? Would your model be much better?

Alex, they aren't poor quality, a bit of practice, and some more control over the camera and you'll be laughing.

Alex, they aren't poor quality, a bit of practice, and some more control over the camera and you'll be laughing.

Thanks John. One more question and I'll leave you alone!:) Why couldn't I see any trace of M42 on the cam? It was so bright! I altered the focus, moved the scope around a little but no joy! This was with and without the x2 Barlow.

I don't think the webcam is going to be anywhere near sensitive enough or have a long enough exposure, you need to start getting into seconds, not milliseconds. With the unmodded SPC900 (as in LX mod), I've not had much luck with finding stars at all, let alone nebula...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys! I'll be going to SGL and hope to get to Salisbury although I haven't checked the dates - will do that now! :)

I agree with increased contrast. My next project is using my Canon 40D for DSOs!

Thanks guys!

Archived