How do you cope with the Cold Weather

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wear some boots with hiking socks to keep my feet nice & warm, a fleece, scarf, a bomber jacket(i think thats what you call them, those puffy ones) a woolly hat & a nice flask of freshly made Cinnamon tea w/ some honey :)

When you's lot are up through the night, what do you do for sleep when you have work the next day?
I sense it's about lifestyle and life-experience. Much of my youth was misspent living "abroad" ... on the "Highway to Hell" (c.f AC.DC). A night out was from 10p.m. 'til 4 a.m., followed by WORK! Despite the real damage done to my "system", I feel I did a GOOD job of work... at the time, and in retrospect? :icon_eek:

Is there really an answer to this? Ultimately you do what you are capable / comfortable with... Recently, cold, tired, and "dewing-up round the edges" (plus mild ANGINA), I thought "[mild expletive] THIS!" and gave up. But somehow, I sense I'll be back... :)

As the Title. I might be put off just because of this. I just cannot see myself standing outside in the freezing cold looking up and freezing my goolies off:eek:

I thought Pure Geordies only needed a short-sleeve shirt, no matter what the weather.:)

Thermal layers, gloves, hat - any decent mountain, fishing, hunting, ski gear will do the trick.

Advice on gloves - see if you can tie your laces while wearing them. Then you know you'll be able to unscrew a nebula filter or adjust a collimating knob with them.

Cold? It doesn't get cold in the UK. :) You want cold, c'mon up to northern Wisconsin. My high temp a few days ago was -15C, and the lake down the road's been frozen for a few weeks already. :D

The best advice i can think of is to dress as though the temp is 30 degrees (F) lower than it really is. I wear ice fishing boots rated to -40C, and sometimes i need to cover them with 'boot blankets' (try Google) to keep my toes from turning into little ice cubes. Standing on a thick layer of rug also helps, as do those chem-packs that get warm when you take them out of the wrapper. Drop one in each boot and you're toes are toasty. :icon_eek:

I wear insulated ski pants, a goose down coat with Coyote fur trim on the hood, a Rabbit fur hat (yep, with the flaps on it just like Elmer Fudd, lol), and down-insulated snowmobile gloves. And i'm considering going broke by purchasing a plump goose-down coverall that's guaranteed to make me break a sweat just changing an eyepiece.

Oh to be in England (again :eek: ) now that winter's here. :(

I cant help with Astronomy atm but I can offer some of ideas as to what I use when out and about.

I tend to layer up when out in the cold. Esp when standing about for long periods. Depending how cold I would wear:

Thermal vest

2 T Shirts

fleace jumper

fleace jacket

Ice Hocky top

Wind breaker

light weight salopetes

hiking socks

Beanie

gloves

Having looked at the list it seems alot:), but its better to be too warm. Its easy enough to remove a layer or three than not to have them. You could always put some in a rucksac incase.

I got my salopettes from TKMAX for around £25-£30 a couple of years ago and have stood up to alot of wear. They have a wind/water proof lining and are toasty warm, a real good buy. The Ice Hocky top was something I had so I tried it, its thin/light and traps the heat in. I wear this over my fleece jacket.

I agree 100% with Talitha about not standing directly on the ground. You could try using an old/cheap carrymat cut down (2 or 3 layers) to insulate your feet from the ground, makes a huge difference.

I hope this helps a little.

Clear skies

Farscape:icon_salut:

When you's lot are up through the night, what do you do for sleep when you have work the next day?

There is not much to do I am afraid... I just go to sleep as long as possible until getting up. Maybe I go to sleep earlier the next day, but it is mostly impossible. We have two kids - it means always a busy agenda :).

cheers,

Janos

This time of year you can get plenty of observing in between 6pm and 1 am. As to keeping warm, thermal vest, long johns, and socks, rigger boots with memory foam insoles, a furry hat with earflaps, a pair of waterproof and padded ski pants (£20 at Matalan in Killingworth) and either my Snowdonia extreme jacket or the North face parka. Oh, don't forget the thermal gloves and a BIG flask of coffee

I feel a bit like the Michelan man, but I'm a warm Michelan man :)

I was out last night for housrs in minus 7. I know its colder for Talitha but last night was so bad the Nexstar started to freeze up, the red light torch shattered from the cold, one of the battery packs just died under the cold and to cap it all just as M42 cleared the trees the clouds arrived.

The only fun of the evening was the amorous couple in the car park - when I turned the red light torches on it startled them and all you could see was two pairs of white eyeballs staring out the side window of their passion wagon - aaaawwwww :D

I was out last night for housrs in minus 7. I know its colder for Talitha but last night was so bad the Nexstar started to freeze up, the red light torch shattered from the cold, one of the battery packs just died under the cold and to cap it all just as M42 cleared the trees the clouds arrived.

The only fun of the evening was the amorous couple in the car park - when I turned the red light torches on it startled them and all you could see was two pairs of white eyeballs staring out the side window of their passion wagon - aaaawwwww :)

I'm sure they ware just trying to survive the cold... :D

Archived