Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light with 300p Flexitube

vegas

Thought I'd stick up a first light report on my new scope which arrived yesterday. I set it up last night in the hope of getting a quick glance, however the cloud was still heavy by the time I needed to retire.

When I awoke this morning I was thrilled to see how clear it was. I monitored the weather all day from my office window and when at 4pm it was still clear I gave a little whoop to myself and rushed home to take my beasty out.... wow and what a beast.

Im hoping to make room in the shed, with a hell of a big lock to keep my scope in, but tonight I had to drag/lift and break my back getting the thing to the right spot in the garden. I really did not think the 12" would be so heavy as I saw a you tube video with some tattooed guy lifting the 10" with real ease.... Hmmmm.

Still I managed to get the thing into the correct spot and left it to cool while i ate some tea.

I went out around 7pm. My first target was M31, as it is my favourite and I have spent alot of time observing it with my 130pm Newt, and I was dying to see what I could make out with the 300p. Well I was not disappointed! I found the object straight away and was quite impressed with the finderscope, as I've only used a red dot finder before.. The core of M31 was much brighter than I've seen it before, and the contrast between the core and outer dust, as well as dark sky was much much more defined. I dragged the family out and they suitably ooed until they got too cold.

I then went for a quick glimpse of Jupiter before it got too low. I was amazed how big it was in my 25mm, and then with the 10mm. I made out two rings easily and think I saw two more faint, though it was quite bright and I dont trust my vision to say for sure or not.

Next was the Pleiades, which were great and definitly had a wispyness. I do believe though that this is still best viewed with a smaller scope.

Orion had raised it's head by now and I went straight to M42 and I was absolutely blown away! I could make out the stars of the triangulum with ease and the nebula just stood out so well. I was honestly gobsmacked and again grabbed my family to oo and ahh again.

I found that with the 10mm I got the best view. Stunning.

I then went for a new Messier, which was M1. I found it with relative ease, though it was very faint and I could not make out any detail. Still i'm thrilled as I've searched for it before and did not get lucky with the 130pm.

I then packed up as I had the fear of dragging/lifting the scope back in the house.

All in all I'm really impressed with the scope. The dobsonian mount was so easy to get to grips with, and the nudging which i had worried about was again very easy to suss.

I'm not totally sold with the finderscope and may switch to a red dot finder in the future. I just miss looking up the scope and find the diagonal strange when trying to look for targets.

I cant wait till the weekend when i will be up for longer and hopefully see Mars. I might even try and take a trip out to a dark site and see how this boosts performance.

All in all a very happy (if not sore backed) bunny.

Nice report

I have the same scope and have been out tonight and will be out again shortly

I did find dew a big problem

I have added a red dot finder as that is what I'm used to

I find the stock finder awkward to use and will be updating it

Steve

Nice report Stuart. I have the 10" Flextube and I changed the original straight through finderscope so I now use a red dot finder and a right angle 9x50 correct image finder - makes life a lot easier.

I leave the scope in the garage and transport it for 25 metres to the end of the garden. I carry the OTA and the base separately although I accept that the 12" is bigger and heavier. I re-collimate the scope once its at the end of the garden.

Enjoy the scope - I sometimes wish I bought the 12".

Regards

mark

Thanks for that Mark, I'll think I'll see if Santa still has room in his sleigh for a red dot finder. When I get the shed sorted I'll only have a 3metre walk thanfully with the scope. When you store the scope is it assembled or do you store the OTA and mount separately?

Cheers

Stuart - I store the scope fully assembled. I simply unscrew the 2 holding handles and place the scope upright on a piece of carpet in the garage. I then carry the base to my prefer position at the end of the garden and then take the OTA to the base. Not very heavy and easily collimated with the HoTech laser - 5 minutes in total.

I have the 9x50 finder and the red dot finder side by side at the top of the scope. Very easy to find objects and to star hop.

Mark

Nice report Stuart, Just moved from a HEQ5 with SW200 to the Skyliner 200 dob and i must admit i have enjoyed the three sessions i have with the dob more than the 2yrs with the other set up.

I agree with the finder scope need to save for a RDF.

Andy

Archived