Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Binos for under £150?

Hi all, First time poster here and quite new to astronomy. I am on the lookout for a decent pair of bino's to get to know my way around and aqquire some knowledge before buying a scope.

After experimenting with a couple of cheapie binocs they seemed cheap feeling and the collimation out. or maybe i was just unlucky? On a side note, do all binoculars come perfectly collimated from the factory? or only above a certain price range or manufacturer?

ive decided ill treat myself for xmas with a decent pair, i have £150 max. Id probably prefer roof prisms as i have quite small hands and they just feel easier to hold for me.. But will i get a decent 8x42 roof prism at this money thats good for the stars? Or is it better to spend the 150 on the best porro prism and cope with the extra bulk/weight?

Thanks for your time and a great forum you have here

Regards

John

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
porro prism are best bins by my own experience, have you had a look to see what firstlightoptics can offer ?

Hi , yeah ive had a look, and its between these three. how superior will the porros be to the roof prism? Bearing in mind i have small hands.

Pentax 8x40 PCF WP II

Opticron Explorer BGA(roof prism)

Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

cheers

is one necessarily better than the other? I had understood that £ for£ porros were better value (but bulkier). Personal experience - I have the Opticron TGA Imagics (8x42) - on the whole I like them - there is something very "holdable" about them and they're quite light and the right dioptre has a "click stop" so as long as you don't let anyone else use them :icon_eek: you never need to adjust it. Downside, the ipa mechanism is on the stiff side (but that's better than being too loose) and the view towards the edges is not great (but, hey, usually, you look at the object in the middle anyway).

having said all that, if you had say £200, you could buy a cheap pair of bins and a 150 skywatcher dobsonian.................

... I had understood that £ for£ porros were better value (but bulkier).

Yes, porro-prisms have one less reflecting surface and don't require phase correction so performance-per-£ they out perform roof-prisms. The huge popularity of roof-prisms owes a lot to fashion and peoples desire for a more compact binocular. Over the last few years manufacturers have concentrated their research and development on roof-prisms so today, at the top-end of the market, they are very good indeed but when spending around £150 on a binocular for astronomy - porro-prisms are best.

HTH

Hi all, First time poster here and quite new to astronomy. I am on the lookout for a decent pair of bino's to get to know my way around and aqquire some knowledge before buying a scope.

After experimenting with a couple of cheapie binocs they seemed cheap feeling and the collimation out. or maybe i was just unlucky? On a side note, do all binoculars come perfectly collimated from the factory? or only above a certain price range or manufacturer?

ive decided ill treat myself for xmas with a decent pair, i have £150 max. Id probably prefer roof prisms as i have quite small hands and they just feel easier to hold for me.. But will i get a decent 8x42 roof prism at this money thats good for the stars? Or is it better to spend the 150 on the best porro prism and cope with the extra bulk/weight?

Thanks for your time and a great forum you have here

Regards

John

Hi John

I went through this process a few months ago. Don't buy cheap. I've been there, done that, and had my disappointments. I finally settled on a pair of Pentax 10x50 PCF WPII binos from FLO. They are porro prism type. I think they are around the £135 mark. I'm very pleased with them as they are an excellent compromise between aperture, magnification and weight and bulk - good aperture, manageable magnification, reasonably lightweight and not bulky. I use them all the time - they sit on my dining room window sill ready for action, though that's more birding action than astro action due to the continually carp weather icon9.gif However, when the stars do come out they perform well. I like them, and I'm hard to please.

Bob

Do you think that 10x50 will be too big for you?

You'll see more detail and more stars than 8x42.

The view is quite shaky for me with 10x50. Hence my choice of 8x. Not really lookin for magnification, just to find my way around really. A scope will come later down the line.

Hi John

I went through this process a few months ago. Don't buy cheap. I've been there, done that, and had my disappointments. I finally settled on a pair of Pentax 10x50 PCF WPII binos from FLO. They are porro prism type. I think they are around the £135 mark. I'm very pleased with them as they are an excellent compromise between aperture, magnification and weight and bulk - good aperture, manageable magnification, reasonably lightweight and not bulky. I use them all the time - they sit on my dining room window sill ready for action, though that's more birding action than astro action due to the continually carp weather icon9.gif However, when the stars do come out they perform well. I like them, and I'm hard to please.

Bob

Hi Bob

Yeah ive been looking at those, but in the 8x40 guise. I know they wont be as bright as the 10x50 but the weight/less shake appeals to me. Im very fussy so from my experience so far with binos i wont be buying cheap again:( Ive heard good things about the pentax so they are high on my list.

John

Yes, porro-prisms have one less reflecting surface and don't require phase correction so performance-per-£ they out perform roof-prisms. The huge popularity of roof-prisms owes a lot to fashion and peoples desire for a more compact binocular. Over the last few years manufacturers have concentrated their research and development on roof-prisms so today, at the top-end of the market, they are very good indeed but when spending around £150 on a binocular for astronomy - porro-prisms are best.

HTH

Hi Steve, out of the three binos i have mentioned, how do they compare? like i have mentioned i would prefer them compact to accomodate my small hands, and also smaller binos just feel "right" in my hands.

cheers

John

Think that 8x42 are just a bit brighter then 10x50's.

The 50's are bigger but so is the image at 10x so the brightness is a little less.

It's not all about objective size the magnification comes into it also. Also 10x will have a small field of view so less stars in view.

Best advice is to try a few sets out and see what suits. Binoculars can be a personel choice in that one make suits better then another of identical specifications.

Hi Bob

Yeah ive been looking at those, but in the 8x40 guise. I know they wont be as bright as the 10x50 but the weight/less shake appeals to me. Im very fussy so from my experience so far with binos i wont be buying cheap again:( Ive heard good things about the pentax so they are high on my list.

John

Yes, they are very good. Optically they are fine, though to be honest, I don't think they are all that greatly improved over cheap Lidl Bressers. In fact, I thought the Bressers had a slightly brighter image. The difference though is in the build quality - they are robust and don't go out of collimation, unlike the Bressers. Some say x10 is too high, but I started off with 20x50 Prakticas, and they were horrible to use. I find x10 is quite manageable if you hold the bino by the objective ends rather than the body. Works for me anyway.

Bob

Hi Steve, out of the three binos i have mentioned, how do they compare? like i have mentioned i would prefer them compact to accomodate my small hands, and also smaller binos just feel "right" in my hands.

If your heart is set on a roof-prism binocular then the Opticron Explorer BGA is well worth a look. It is comfortable, has phase-corrected prisms and is well-protected against the elements. If it were me though, for astronomy, I would be looking at either the Opticron Imagic TGA WP or the Pentax PCF WP II

The Opticron Imagics are lighter and more compact and have a nice tactile rubber armour whereas the Pentax are more chunky and sturdy. Both would be great for astronomy but if you have small hands the Opticron is the better choice.

HTH :icon_eek:

Yes, they are very good. Optically they are fine, though to be honest, I don't think they are all that greatly improved over cheap Lidl Bressers. In fact, I thought the Bressers had a slightly brighter image. The difference though is in the build quality - they are robust and don't go out of collimation, unlike the Bressers. Some say x10 is too high, but I started off with 20x50 Prakticas, and they were horrible to use. I find x10 is quite manageable if you hold the bino by the objective ends rather than the body. Works for me anyway.

Bob

Hi Bob

I originally started with a pair of the bressers 10x50. very bright but so far out of collimation. The best cheap pair i have tried are actually a £10 pair of tascos from ebay! I think its between the pentax or the opticron imagic. if i get a chance ill have a feel of a few pairs also. Ill decide by tomorrow either way or i be at it forever:)

Thanks for the advice

John

If your heart is set on a roof-prism binocular then the Opticron Explorer BGA is well worth a look. It is comfortable, has phase-corrected prisms and is well-protected against the elements. If it were me though, for astronomy, I would be looking at either the Opticron Imagic TGA WP or the Pentax PCF WP II

The Opticron Imagics are lighter and more compact and have a nice tactile rubber armour whereas the Pentax are more chunky and sturdy. Both would be great for astronomy but if you have small hands the Opticron is the better choice.

HTH :icon_eek:

Hi Steve

Are the opticrons collimated properly out of the factory? id hate to get another pair of headaches:( And is their a big difference(view wise) between the imagic(8x42) and the explorer(8x42)?

Thanks for your time

John

Are the opticrons collimated properly out of the factory? id hate to get another pair of headaches:(

Yes, definitely, absolutely.

And is their a big difference(view wise) between the imagic(8x42) and the explorer(8x42)?

If used for astronomy the Imagic will be slightly brighter and the views will appear more 3D/stereo, though the latter is more noticeable when used for regular daytime nature observing. If you will be using them mostly for daytime observing then the Explorer would probably be better, its design is more compact and convenient, it also focuses closer.

Bear in mind that whichever model you choose you can return them if they are not to your liking.

Yes, definitely, absolutely.

If used for astronomy the Imagic will be slightly brighter and the views will appear more 3D/stereo, though the latter is more noticeable when used for regular daytime nature observing. If you will be using them mostly for daytime observing then the Explorer would probably be better, its design is more compact and convenient, it also focuses closer.

Bear in mind that whichever model you choose you can return them if they are not to your liking.

Thanks for your advice steve. Just havin a little think:)

Hi' I had a pair of 20x80s bins last year because of their weight they at to be put on a strong tripod.But they give fantastic views of the night sky.Mark

Quite fancy somethin like as well, but then again id buy everything if i could lol

Hi Steve

Are the opticrons collimated properly out of the factory? id hate to get another pair of headaches:( And is their a big difference(view wise) between the imagic(8x42) and the explorer(8x42)?

Thanks for your time

John

I'm sure both either will be an excellent choice. What I like about the Pentax binos is the focusing is internal - no external bridge as in conventional binos - and you can lock the focus once you have achieved the optimum. I have another pair of Pentaxes - 6x20 pocket binos of 1991 vintage, also internal focusing - which I use for work. They are well battered but are optically and mechanically perfect, so that swung it for me.

Bob

http://stargazerslounge.com/images/icons/icon9.gif However, when the stars do come out they perform well. I like them, and I'm hard to please.

Bob ]

Ditto.

I had a pair of Meade 10x50s, when I bought and compared them the Pentax binos blew the Meades away, the image was so much brighter and sharp across the field of view. Spend the extra and get the Pentax.

Paul

Archived