NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from a newbie looking to buy first telescope

Good evening all.

I am a newbie to this wonderful forum and have been browsing here for a while.

I am looking to select and purchase my first telescope and would appreciate some help with this please.

Jessops are currently advertising 2 scopes; the first is a Jessops 800 x 80 reflector scope @ £49 and the second scope is a Jessops 1100 x 102mm reflector at £79 that looks a bit of a beast.

Does anyone know anything about these scopes please and if so would either of them be any good?

I live in Hereford close to the welsh border and want to view the heavens in as much detail as possible within an initial budget of £150 possibly stretching to £200. My gazing currently is done in the back garden with a small pair of 12 x 32 binoculars which can be a bit taxing on the neck muscles. I have located the pleiades, Orion but have thus far failed to find M31.

As well as your thoughts regarding the Jessops scopes; any suggestions regarding a good telescope to suit my needs as an ambitious beginner would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Paul

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Paul and welcome to SGL.

The smaller telescope looks similar to many small reflectors sold on ebay and the larger one reminds me of a telescope I once saw on QVC, that too had a very strange counterbalanced alt/az mount. I can't really comment on the preformance of either except to say that the claims of magnification are a bit ambitious (400x). With your £150-£200 budjet something like a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian is a possibility.

Peter

Hi Paul,

I agree with Peter - you would notbe happy with the Jessops scopes I'm afraid despite their low prices. Peters suggested scope is also good and there are other Skywatcher scopes which might suit, such as this one:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130M

Skywatcher make proper scopes - the Jessops ones are little better than toys to be honest.

John

Hello Paul the guys above are right. If you want to buy a telescope then you should buy from a proper telescope maker like Skywatcher/Meade/Celestron etc.

Minimum sizes are 80mm refractor or 150mm reflector - the reflector will give more power and detail, I think 130mm is too small but fine if you are on a budget and there are many happy users.

Your 12x32 bins are too small really better 10x50 but I am sure they will get you by. Many observe from a sun lounger with tilting back - nice and cosy and better neck.

John.

I would stick with the Skywatcher range, you get alot of bang per buck, heres some options:

Skywatcher 130M - Good all rounder, comes with a motor to keep objects in view without having to keep ajusting knobs, allows you to get on with viewing, you definately see M31 with this.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130M

Skywatcher 150P - Same as above without motor drive but can be added later. Very good allrounder, planets, DSOs etc, Jupiter looks good through this scope. Good mid range scope, Id push to this if you can, specially if you fancy taking pics at some point.

Homepage - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

Skywatcher Evostar 90 - Very similar to above in performance, but easier to handle.

Evostar - Skywatcher Evostar 90 (EQ3-2)

Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsinian - Purely visual, these scopes are often referred to as light buckets! If you're soley interested in viewing only and do not intend to take pics, this is the best Scope soley for viewing in your budget.

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

This is all just my opinion of course. I have the 150PL and for general use am happy with it, upgrading already tho because I enjoy taking pics too much. One mistake alot of people make is to look at magnification as the only factor that matters when buying a scope, it doesnt. Aperture is king, the wider the scope, the more light it can grab, the more YOU see! Simples.

Also, you might want to buy a couple of eyepieces to upgrade/diversify the eyepieces that come with the scope you get, the ones supplied are ok, but long term, you'll find spending a bit of money on some Meade 4000s or similar brand eyepieces will give you better viewing. Also, get a Moon Filter, viewing the Moon hurts your eyes a bit without one. I think you need to spend more than £130 to get anything "serious", I think you'd be disappointed with the Jessops models compared to these Scopes.

Phew, sorry for the long post, hope this gives you food for thought. :icon_eek:

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL,

I'd definitely not buy either of the Jessops scopes, I had the smaller of the 2. The quality wasn't good it came with a plastic focuser and 3 plastic eyepieces (a definite no no) on a very unstable Alt-Azimuth mount. It was a xmas pressie and after alot of frustration trying to get it working, it did let me view the Moon and Saturn (briefly). It was enough to get me interested in astronomy, but I could've just as easily given up without the fleeting glimpse of Saturn.

Basically if the dedicated astronomy shops don't sell them it's best to avoid them - whether it's Jessops, Ebay or toys r us etc. Don't worry though, with your £150 to £200 budget there's lots of decent starter scopes. I don't need to add anymore to the list as you've already got some great recommendations above. I'll just say, I soon got rid of my Jessop's scope and replaced it with a Skywatcher which I'm very happy with. :icon_eek:

Many, many thanks to you all for taking the time to respond to my post with great guidance and advice. I think SkyWatcher is the way to go :icon_eek:

I will no doubt be pestering you all again with further questions as I get further into this wonderful world of astronomy....but first I need to narrow down which Skywatcher to go for.

Once again many thanks for your time and great advice.

Paul

Many, many thanks to you all for taking the time to respond to my post with great guidance and advice. I think SkyWatcher is the way to go :icon_eek:

I will no doubt be pestering you all again with further questions as I get further into this wonderful world of astronomy....but first I need to narrow down which Skywatcher to go for.

Once again many thanks for your time and great advice.

Paul

Good thinking re: Skywatcher :hello2:

Try and get the largest aperture scope you can afford - you will get more "wow !" factor that way. If you can avoid the lure of the computerised GOTO mounts then you will get a lot more aperture for your money. No point in having a scope that finds things for you if the optics are too small to actually see the object that's been found clearly !.

John

Have a look at this as well Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

A very good beginners scope with a motorized mount that keeps the object in view for a good half hour once you have found it which also makes you learn the night sky ( not a bad thing ) plus you can add a goto hand controller later on.

Speak to Steve at FLO , they sponsor this forum and the link to there online store is at the top of this page in blue and orange.

He will give you all the info and advice you need to get you started.

Vlebo

Good thinking re: Skywatcher :icon_eek:

Try and get the largest aperture scope you can afford - you will get more "wow !" factor that way. If you can avoid the lure of the computerised GOTO mounts then you will get a lot more aperture for your money. No point in having a scope that finds things for you if the optics are too small to actually see the object that's been found clearly !.

John

Hi and welcome to this forum - i was in your position about 4 months ago and i went for a 8" Dobsonian pictured here S-W Skyliner-200 COM

And with your budget you could go the next size down to a 6" pictured here S_W Skyliner-150 COM

Good luck in whatever you choose - i have had some amazing sights through my telescope and some amazing advice from this forum who without i wouldn't of understood anything about this hobbie.

Regards Daren

Have you had a look at the NexStar 80 SLT.

David Hinds Ltd

If you are a new to this stuff a goto might be hepful. Ok these things start at £300 mark, but if you don't know the skys like me then all you have to do is line up on two stars and your away. Gets u learning the sky quickly. Also very portable take anywhere scope.

si

Trouble is, for practice one might be in the backgarden. And it is really difficult holding up the middle pages of the latest Sky at Night mag, upside down and then sticking your finger in the air trying to work out were the faint fuzzies are. I know a lot of people say it's not a good thing when you use gotos to find stars etc, but if you are a beginner it is a lot quicker way, of getting something back from Astronomy.

Have both, but I would, as I haven't been doing this for long, go straight down the Goto route. At the end of day, it will be easier to sell when you upgrade to bigger scope, and you don't need to add motors etc to it later for tracking.

si

The problem when you have just £150 to spend is you will get goto but the scope will have an aperture of maybe 80mm.

So even though you are pointed at the object you cannot see it.

But £150 might buy you a dob with 150mm of aperture, Ok you have to find the object but you are more llikely to see it.

IMO Goto's are great for astrophotography where most of the objects are to dim to see but for visual nothing beats finding that elusive planetary yourself.

The problem when you have just £150 to spend is you will get goto but the scope will have an aperture of maybe 80mm.

But £150 might buy you a dob with 150mm of aperture, Ok you have to find the object but you are more llikely to see it.

IMO Goto's are great for astrophotography where most of the objects are to dim to see but for visual nothing beats finding that elusive planetary yourself.

I am a beginner i went for a 8" Dob and am finding that finding stuff to view is much more exciting than a goto - reason being is that if i had a goto i know that i would just zip through most stuff to see then i would be bored - but i am not saying that goto is not good as i have never used it its just my opinion on a open forum - all the best with whatever you choose

I think most people who get dobs are happy that they didn't get goto because it really does force you to learn the sky which is not actually that difficult and very rewarding. And, as everyone says, aperture really does matter. When people talk about learning the sky with goto, I guess you get an idea of roughly where things are but no idea of how to find things without goto. A bit like "learning" the roads with satnav...

I've been doing this for about 3 years and I reckon I can find well over 200 objects just by knowing where they are and pointing straight at them or starhopping. That's what learning is.

ps also it only takes seconds to "set up" a dob

I must admit for £150, you are never gonna get Goto and if I only had £150 to spend I would indeed get the biggest mirror I could get.

Does limit you though to the interest factor. Cause your always want to get a nice scope with motors, cause at the end of the day a fuzzie is a fuzzie. And you can only really see them via a photo.

Great to tell your mates that last night I found the Androm galaxy, trouble is it looks just like the horse head!!!.....:icon_eek: all fuzzies seem to look the same.

Maybe this isn't a poor mans hobby after all.....:hello2:

si

I think most people who get dobs are happy that they didn't get goto because it really does force you to learn the sky which is not actually that difficult and very rewarding. And, as everyone says, aperture really does matter. When people talk about learning the sky with goto, I guess you get an idea of roughly where things are but no idea of how to find things without goto. A bit like "learning" the roads with satnav...

I've been doing this for about 3 years and I reckon I can find well over 200 objects just by knowing where they are and pointing straight at them or starhopping. That's what learning is.

ps also it only takes seconds to "set up" a dob

Yeah I know I have a reflector on an EQ mount without goto as well;) and two long bouncy hand turners to control......:icon_eek: the axis.

But at least I can put the reflector on the Goto mount.

si

Does limit you though to the interest factor. Cause your always want to get a nice scope with motors, cause at the end of the day a fuzzie is a fuzzie. And you can only really see them via a photo.

si

what?:icon_eek: I have never wanted a scope with motors (nice or otherwise) ; to me it's a source of wonder and amazement that I can look thru a scope i bought for less than £150 and see a galaxy 50 million light years away. if you want to do astronomy on the chaep you can.

but it ain't easy............:hello2:

Horses for courses.

My main aim is to eventually take a hubble quality type photo, a bit like some of the images on this website, stick it on the wall, and tell people that I took that image, it's all mine.

I am more into the photography part of this hobby, cause you can't see much detail up there otherwise.

Some people are happy with looking at fuzzies, some are not. Just depends what you want to get out of the hobby;)

si

Great to tell your mates that last night I found the Androm galaxy, trouble is it looks just like the horse head!!!.....:icon_eek: all fuzzies seem to look the same.

Through a little scope then maybe, but through a larger aperture there's alot of difference.

All fuzzies are different in their own little way. M42 is defintely different to M31 in loads of ways, shape, colour and size for starters. Also M42 technically speaking isn't really a fuzzie as it's a nebula.

I'm in a similiar position, about to buy a "first scope" for my son.

I've been in this hobby for almost 50 years, used and built many ( too many!) telescopes up to 29" aperture....

I honestly think the best first telescope is the one that doesn't end up dumped in the garage because it's too big, too heavy, needs collimating ( again...I think??!!) the kids can't use it on their own( that's the grandchildren I mean) - what ever the excuse etc etc

I'll buy him a small quality refractor probably an ED80 and a couple of Plossl eyepieces ( no Barlow!). Less things to go wrong and it's small enough to handle and will give good views of the moon and Jupiter etc and if he decides in a year so so that he's still interested he can, with some experience under his belt, move up to a 8" or 10" Newt. If not, he has a telescope which will still sell s/hand for a fair price.

Just my 2c.

Archived