Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Warminster

DavidB

Hello to you all from the Warminster area. I am a newbie and bought a NexStar hoping the three star alignment programme would get me off to a good start. However on three separate nights I have not been able to get it to give me any message other than "alignment failed". Clear nights here are few and far between at present. Next time I am going to try the two star auto alignment and use a graticule to centre the stars in the eyepiece. The night after that I am going to take a very large hammer to the thing and take up home brewing. Alternatively throw myself on the good offices of the Tilshead Viewing Group to get me out of trouble.

Dave B.

Hi David, If your struggling give me a shout, I only live in Dilton Marsh near Westbury. I have the Celestron Nexstar 4slt so the handset and data input are the same, I'd be only too happy to help you out. Don't give up as when it's sorted you can still do home-brew for the rainy, cloudy nights...

Carl

Hi David and welcome to SGL.

You'll always find assistance on here but to find someone so close with the same kit responding so promptly .... what can I say. Sounds like Carl will get you sorted in return for a bit of home brew. :icon_eek::):hello2:

Mike

:icon_eek: Hi David from me too - I have a Nextar 4SE and the alignment can be a bit tricky. Heres some tips...

1/ Always use the red dot finder to find the three alignment stars with.

2/ Take care to centre the star quite precisely in the main optics once you have selected the alignment star using the red dot finder

3/ Try and pproach the star the same time for each alignment - ie come up and left or down and right etc. Whichevere you use the first one use the same for the econd.

4/ Try and void 'over shooting' on stars when aligning.

Those general rules will help. My nexstar can have the odd wobble they are nearly always caused by impatince and trying to rush things.

Hope thats of some help

hi dave.

all i can say is,

location,date, time,dont know if you do it,but everything has to be put in when you start up,does not save anything when turned off,as i found out,when i asked my fellow members at my local astro club why it would,t align,:icon_eek:.had no problem since.hope you get it sorted.

ken.

Thanks for all your support. Carl, I will take you up on your kind offer - especially if you like a good brew before/afterwards.

New problem is that my old Tal eyepieces don't seem to fit the Celestron eyepiece tube. So can't use the old graticule for centering (centreing?). Wife has now hidden all hammers as doesn't like the way things seem to be going.

David B

No problem Dave, I will give you a ring later today as we may get some clear sky tonight.

For those that don't know and my understanding, Celestron cannot keep the inputted details due to patent law. Meade's autostar patented the memory feature in the handset therefore stopping other manufacturers incorporating the same feature.

Archived