Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

At last – I have seen something!

IainR

Having received the telescope last week and attempted to align it with little success, no idea which stars I was looking at and scudding clouds, I have had no chance to look at anything until this evening.

Out walking the dog I had excellent views of the moon and a planet.

Amazingly, when I got home they were both still visible so I set up the telescope just inside the garage. I have read advice about not cleaning lenses unless absolutely necessary and, as I wear glasses I know what high winds do them, I felt some protection was in order.

Started with the planet using the 25mm (53x) I could clearly see it was a planet rather than a star, there were also two moons visible. Changed to the other lens that came with the ‘scope (no others purchased yet), this being a 10mm (133x). Could not for the life of me get it to focus. Do not know if this was because I could not alter the focus in sufficiently small degrees or whether the swirling wind (even in the garage) was overcoming the mount, maybe a combination of the two.

Not too disheartened I swapped to the moon. Oh Yes! This was more like it. No focus problems and beautiful views. Could not decide which lens to stick with, 25mm and the entire moon in view, or 10ml and higher magnification. Never mind, I much enjoyed them both.

Did not stay for too long, rather chilly and still concerned about what the swirling wind would be depositing on the front lens. But, at last, I have started.

As the planet had been clearly visible even before the sky got dark I assume it was Jupiter. Then again, I know nothing.

Congrats on first light :headbang: Yes that will have been Jupiter, and you'll have had trouble focusing at higher magnification because it's low in the sky and coming through a lot of the Earth's atmosphere. Plus the air hasn't been very steady tonight either. Lots more to look forward to now you've got going!

Archived