Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

You can't beat 'em

661-pete

Sorry to drag up a familiar seasonal theme, but just been reading an article in the local paper, about this spectacle soon to hit the skies of Sussex (where many SGL'ers live in the area, I know it).

'Biggest lit-up Xmas tree in UK' .... 'Visible for miles around' ... even 'visible from the air'.... humph. And we're talking about the Royal Botanic Gardens here, a most august body concerned with conservation....

I know I'm up against a strong tradition, and little chance of persuading the majority. I just wish there were more 'still small voices' to be heard. Surely there are other ways of celebrating the festive season?

I think the irony is lost on them Pete. They bang on and on about reducing Co2 emissions and footprints and so on, and then use as many lights and as much electric as they can.

I dont think they'd listen if we said "Turn out your lights and you'll maybe see the xmas tree nebula" ? :headbang:

You know what Pete... the thing is, they have built a massive seed bank to preserve and study seeds from around the world against things like Global Warming, then contribute to it.

I expect we'll be taking the kids over to see it though... It is, however, far enough away, and behind hills that I won't be able to see it from home. The house around the corner however, that lights up the neighbourhood for 4 weeks is close enough...

I suggest a comprimise regarding xmas, I would pass a law that xmas decorations can go up 1 week before 25th Dec and must be down buy 12th night! oh and must not be above 5 metres in height

And below 100 watts............ :headbang:

Gary

I haven't looked so don't know.

But has anyone looked at the website for the organisation and seen if there is the option of leaving a comment/feedback and then saying something about the discrepency between being "green" and burning lots of lights?

I will be pretty sure that they do not read SGL so complaining about it here is pointless.

A sensible compromise would be if they only turned them on in December and they were turned off at 11:00pm each night.
Point of info: they are indeed only going to be switched on on December 1st, and remain lit every night until January. Potentially an entire month lost for some people. But neither RBG's own website, nor the local paper, makes any mention of whether they'll be turned off later each evening. An 11pm 'off' time sounds like an excellent idea: at least part of the night can be salvaged...

i'd be quite happy for this sort of thing to even be on all night providing it was only for 14 days. what really pee's me off is the blumming houses that are lit up now and will stay lit up till mid january for no reason other than to prove that they have a bigger electric bill than the house next door, the classic example is the guy in north scotland who has that many lights on it that he was worried he might get in trouble with the CAA, when he checked it turned out the transalantic flights use it as a visual waypoint it's that bright !!

the ones that do it to raise money for charities are a different matter, we've one local that raises about £4,000 for the local childrens hospice each year but they really go to town and ironically don;t actually have that many bright decorations, just one hell of a lot of different themes around the gardenand inside the house (poor sods spend 5 weeks with just the kitchen downstairs to them selves every evening)

Chrimbo eyesores, I mean decorations should only be allowed in santas homeland, leaving the rest of the civilised world to get on with observing without any extra LP. Also, any house that has more than 5% coverage of tacky, illuminated, plastic snowmen should be demolished forthwith, and the culprits shipped to the colonies (but not the nice warm ones in the southern hemishpere, I'm thinking the new lunar mining colonies, specially set up for rehousing undesirables and slackers).

A limit to how many chrimbo cards lay-dees and odd chaps may send out per year should also be imposed.

There will, of course, be no change in the maximum allowable festive booze consumption limit, although as a way of reducing carbon emissions all BEER shall be of a real nature, "lager" style euro-gnats water, including that originating in the Americas, shall be phased out by Dec 1st 2009. Anyone caught in possesion of such watery nonsense will be sent to join those already heading lunarward.

I do hope the irony of complaining about someone else's contribution to global warming, whilst typing on an electric computer , isn't totally lost!

Though I do agree with you all re the utter waste of energy in illuminating stuff. Dont get me wrong, I'm as up for pretty lights as the next forumite (and as a Christian, and seemingly in the minority here, probably probably more so than most)...but not right through the night when we's all asleep! I don't know whether the OP has actually submitted a complaint, or suggestions even, to the gardens concerned, but with Dark Skies in the public eye right now due to the recent DS park, it might be the time to do it. It might be prudent to call a local TV station even. They need stories!

D

Archived