Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Classic Cassegrain 240mm

Pablito

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of time took me the main mirror cell. I prepared 18 support points using PLOP. Collimation bolts (M8) and solid springs make it stable. I have also attached 3 M5 bolts to prevent mirror from getting out when collimation bolt are unscrewed too much. I also want to give 3 M6 bolts to oppose the mirror cell from the end front (I hope you know what I mean...).

post-17271-13387740811_thumb.jpg

post-17271-133877408117_thumb.jpg

post-17271-133877408124_thumb.jpg

post-17271-13387740813_thumb.jpg

Pipes will be cut when I get better. I wanted to use Moonlite dual speed focuser and bought one. But it turned out to have too small tube travel and I need other (this one is listed at astrobuysell.com). I ordered proper focuser (still on the way). I will use green laser pointer as a finder in standard bracket taken from 6x30 finder. The 3 curved vane spider I bought at 1800destiny.com

There are two pipes assembled but there will be four.

post-17271-133877408157_thumb.jpg

post-17271-133877408164_thumb.jpg

post-17271-133877408171_thumb.jpg

post-17271-133877408176_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi again!

Had a brake in posting but no break in making the scope. I spent over 100 hours on it so far! But it was worth.

I prepared it for painting and flocking. I suppose it will be finished in a week :icon_eek:

All inside of optical path will be flocked.

Just take a look.

post-17271-13387741361_thumb.jpg

post-17271-13387741362_thumb.jpg

Can I ask where you got the optices for the Cass?

Adrian,

It was custom made optics set. Hand-polished, total accuracy is not worse than 1/8 lambda.

I posted at "for sale" 12" mirrors for R-C but it could be done Cassegrain system also. The source of the optics is the same as mine Cassegrain. Not cheap but good optics has it's price :icon_eek:

Thanks Gary.

But there is one thing I havn't mentioned so far... I was forced to make the scope...

I bought mirrors a year ago, planned to build the scope and then my planes changed. Decided to sell mirrors but... no one wanted to buy it. It's not easy to build Newtonian but still to do, but everyone was frighten of building the Cassegrain.

So, I had to do it myself :hello2:

The worse is that I will test it I will sell it. Need money for other project... Bigger of course :mad:

It's sad that a part of my heart, my child will go to the others... In the other side I will be happy when new owner will not be able to take a breath because of the views given by the scope :icon_eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Pablito, I very much admire your DIY skills.

There is great satisfaction in making something yourself, and when that something is an astronomical Instrument, the task is very highly rewarding. It will be very sad if you need to sell it when it is finished, but you can be satisfied on two counts. The buyer will have a very classy Instrument thanks to your skill, and secondly, It will have enabled you to progress towards an Instrument of your choice. Everybody wins.:D

This is a very nice story, and it will have a nice ending.

Ron.:)

Thank you guys :D

My heart sinks when I think about selling it... Like Monty Python said "Live is piece of s... when you look at it (...)" :) But I already think about next project. My wife resists but it's my destiny - 18" ultra compact Newtonian. I will take a half year break and then start it.

You will not belive but I am accountant, I studied economisc at University of Gdansk. But I love doing something in my garrage, it's stronger than me. I have to create!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived