Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12 inch wasted on my sky ?

hmm interesting, difference between 10" and 12" is only .2 mag for my area. that just about makes my mind up, 10" and spend the extra on nice things like eyepieces. i suspect using higher quality eyepieces will be more satisfying than seeing that last bit of mag and using the standard lenses

Unfortunately, The Urban Astronomer`s Guide by Rod Mollise is probably a useful book for many today. The Aperture Myth on page 15 is particularly relevant to this thread. This book states that answer to the question posed by this thread`s title is `No.`

The urban astronomer's guide: a ... - Google Books

I used to have a 14" Dobbo which gave fantastic views of most object.

Unfortunately, it had to go when I moved as the contrast was pretty poor from my new light polluted skies. As a result it rarely got used as it made the light pollution look worse, with faint objects hidden in the background glow, especially large spread out objects. So, biggest is not always best, unless you are blessed with dark skies. Your choice of 10" is probably best, as you say, it will also leave funds for better eyepieces and other accessories.

Unfortunately, The Urban Astronomer`s Guide by Rod Mollise is probably a useful book for many today. The Aperture Myth on page 15 is particularly relevant to this thread. This book states that answer to the question posed by this thread`s title is `No.`

The urban astronomer's guide: a ... - Google Books

Just read it and I couldn't agree more. Yes you do pull in more light pollution but the images are brighter with a bigger dob, except galaxies these do require darker skies to be fully appreciated.

When I had use of a 10" dob before I bought the 16" I even suffered from clusters and nebs but now the extra 6" have opened up a complete new viewing experience for me.

There's no logic to this but 12" does seem to mark a sort of watershed in performance - with my Lightbridge 12", even under my moderately light polluted skies, I seem at last to be getting views that bear some resemblence (with the exception of colour) to some of the images you see.

I've not noticed that with the 8" and 10" dobs I've owned previously, or at least not as strongly.

John

Otdered the 12 from flo, but no discount, they should state that they dont offer discounts on their skywatcher ranges on the forums they advertise discounts for its members.

Hope they give me some free binos as rother valley was offering.

Congrats on ordering the new scope and hopefully the cure for your aperture fever :(

Looking forward to a first light report.

This "sticky" in their section of SGL explains the First Light Optics SGL members discount scheme:

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/58539-sgl-member-discount.html

I'm not sure I'd trade FLO's service for binocualars of no fixed spec / origin TBH ;)

John

Dam no stock at FLo. Steve gave m a call but i said i will wait it out. Maybe a can get a freebie thrown in now lol... A colimator maybe lol.

Try not to let your desire for the odd "freebie" cloud your judgement on who you order from - check out the posts on SGL about supplier service quality (or lack of it !). There are good companies about and not so good ones - trouble is they all look OK on the surface ..... :icon_eek:

John

Try not to let your desire for the odd "freebie" cloud your judgement on who you order from - check out the posts on SGL about supplier service quality (or lack of it !). There are good companies about and not so good ones - trouble is they all look OK on the surface ..... :icon_eek:

John

That's true. Was nice of Steve to give me a girl and let me know though. That's the reason i chose to wait, He gave me some of his personal time, and that meant allot.

Archived