Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neximage ?

does it pick up on nebula and galaxies ?

It's not intended for deep sky objects - it can't do long exposures. The Neximage is basically a re-packaged Philips Toucam Pro. I feel it's rather pricey although it will do a decent job on planetary and lunar.

John

does it pick up on nebula and galaxies ?

I am waiting for mine to arrive but when it does I'm sending it straight off for a B&W Sensor and long exposure mod. As far as I'm aware this will make the Neximage more suitable for DSO imaging but I'm new to this so could be wrong.

Have a look HERE

Regards

Hello, as others have stated the Neximage is intended only for lunar/planetary. Considering it's price point, it is damn good value particularly as the Toucam is no longer available new. The Neximage does however use the same CCD imaging chip.

To get some idea of what the Neximage can do, you will find plenty of images on this forum by myself and others. Here is a link to my latest image of Jupiter captured with a Celestron Neximage:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/89177-jupiter-grs-last.html

Brinders

Dazraz

Earlier this week I got my first piccies using the neximage and posted them on SGL [Jupiter and Uranus]. These were merely pushed through registax align and stack. Take a look. One of the pics I didn't post showed the moons of Jupiter very well, but the planet was horribly over-exposed. My thinking is, if it can pick up those at about mag 6, it should be able to pick up stars at around the same mag. Being an open cluster freak I intend to try for M41 when I get a clear morning. Should be possible with the neximage, I think, with several 7m stars. Will let you know how it goes ... when the clouds clear ...

Dazraz

Earlier this week I got my first piccies using the neximage and posted them on SGL [Jupiter and Uranus]. These were merely pushed through registax align and stack. Take a look. One of the pics I didn't post showed the moons of Jupiter very well, but the planet was horribly over-exposed. My thinking is, if it can pick up those at about mag 6, it should be able to pick up stars at around the same mag. Being an open cluster freak I intend to try for M41 when I get a clear morning. Should be possible with the neximage, I think, with several 7m stars. Will let you know how it goes ... when the clouds clear ...

got a link to your pictures ?

I have one, and although I haven't used it that much I do like it. It is easy to use and capable (in someones elses hands!). I seem to recall having to download a different driver for windows vista - not sure if this is still the case.

Here are a couple of pics. Please bear in mind that I haven't used it much and it is capable of much better things in the right hands.

moon4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

jupiter6c3b on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yes Bish you do have to download new drivers for Vista. It's a download from Celestron named camViA20. I've been trying to get it to work on my laptop following the precise instructions without success. If anyone has any tips on this I would appreciate them. Looking at other forums I am not alone in this.

RonJ

Dazraz, the Neximage as is will not be any good for DSO's as it is not able to take long exposures without some modding, there are plenty of links on how to do this but if you need some links let me know and I'll pm you some.

Hi RonJ, I use the neximage with a pc and laptop both running windows Vista, if I remember correctly I had to rename the camera to something like generic usb vga device, it will not show up as Neximage unless of course that is now sorted by Celestron..

Ron, in fact I think I may have renamed it to camVia20, as that was the specific vista driver. Then in your capture software (I use AMcap, WxAstrocapture etc) it shows up as VGA CCD Camera with USB Interface in the Device Tab. It all seems so long ago now since I had to do it...Have you tried the software mods yet????

Archived