Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Stoke-on-Trent

skin

Hiya guys 'n' gals,

What a great forum this is! I've noticed on various forums that you get 'old hands' responding to newbies with sarcastic and patronising comments instead of offering an outstretched, helping hand to the newcomers. Not here!!

I was given a cheap telescope as a Christmas present last year but was a little frustrated with it as I could not see much more than the moon (and the student nurse accommodation across the field) :) JOKE!!

Now that I more interested in what's up there, I have decided to splash out on a better scope (roll on payday). I have decided on the Skywatcher Explorer 150 but I'm still unsure whether to go for the 'P' or the 'PL'. Hopefully I'll be able to make up my mind soon.

Anyway, until the arrival of the scope, a shall continue reading these forums, building up knowledge and longing for clear, night skies :D

Many thanks,

Skin

Thank for the welcomes :D

I'd love to be able to go for a bigger aperture but I'm already stretching my limit with the Explorer 150. My original budget was £200 but have managed to talk my mrs into stretching to £230 (money's tight & times are hard). I've had a look online but can't find the 8" Dob for less than £269 :) So, unless you know of one going for less, it looks like being the Explorer.

A Congletonian!! Just up the road :) I'm actually from Chesterton, but Nobody has ever heard of Ches or even Newcastle-under-Lyme lol

Skin

Welcome aboard Skin. I know exactly where your talking about. lol. I used to live in Longton, until Dec last yr, when I moved to Gloucester to live with the misses. I have the Explorer 200 model scope and I'd have to say the optics are great. Nice clean crisp images. I too started off with a small Tasco 60mm refractor that was given me, so I know where your coming from when it comes to finding it hard to find things. Although it did show me some cracking views of Jupiter, Saturn, Orion Nebula, M13, M57 and M31. I wish I still had it sometimes.

Anyway, hope your scope arrives soon. We'll all know when it does, because the bad weahter seems to roll in wheneva somebody buys some new kit. lol

Andy

@ weareborg

Thanks duck! How does Glouscester compare to 'Neck End'??

@ Mike W

A mile up the road, eh? I'm going to take a stab at Audley/Bignall End??

@ Doc

Cheers buddy

Well Gloucester has got some lovely rural areas suitable for observing, but unfortunately for me, I now live smack in the city centre. In fact I have a dual carriage way running along the back of our house, which is on a higher level, and so the light pollution is very bad here. But on the plus side, the misses folks have got a nice big garden and the skies from there are prety good. Not tried it with my scope yet, as I had to part with my EQ mount due to money problems, so I am in the process of converting my OTA into a truss dob.(details to follow later) lol

But I do miss Stoke. Very much. Neva thought I would hear myself say that, but there you go. lol

Andy

Welcome to SGL

I am quite new to astronomy livig not far from you in Newcastle, The problems in this area are the light polution in most direction.

Finding a good dark site not too far away is dificult and travelling to the sites cuts down observing times.

As you see in my signature I had an observatory built to reduce light polution and other reason.

Thank for the welcomes :D

I'd love to be able to go for a bigger aperture but I'm already stretching my limit with the Explorer 150. My original budget was £200 but have managed to talk my mrs into stretching to £230 (money's tight & times are hard). I've had a look online but can't find the 8" Dob for less than £269 :hello2: So, unless you know of one going for less, it looks like being the Explorer.

A Congletonian!! Just up the road :) I'm actually from Chesterton, but Nobody has ever heard of Ches or even Newcastle-under-Lyme lol

Skin

Nope i don't know of one under £250...that would be bartering territory. :)

Archived