NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Left or right eyed?

Gadget

Maybe a silly question im just curious don't know if it is because im right handed when I view through my telescope I use my right eye but ive noticed when my wife or kids look they use their left eye they are also right handed I have now tried my left eye but it does not look as good, is there such a thing as left or right eyed as in left/right handed

Kev

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Kev, although I always use my right eye. My mum and sister use their right eye, both being right handed. My Dad, on the other hand (no pun intended) is ambidextrous and I've noticed he favours both eyes, equally! He does report his right eye appears to see in more detail than the left, as with all of us.

it might not be the point you are making, as there's an element of vision quality in your comments, but we do have one eye more dominant and it need not follow your dominant hand :o

There's a simple test you can do to see which eye is your dominant eye.

Err, And i've managed to forget the details. :) Basically you bring an object towards your face and see which eye you end up at!

Point at a distant object then close one eye then the other without moving your finger and see if the target moves or not, if not that is your dominant eye, in my case it is definately my left eye (target shifts a lot when I close my left but finger is pointing directly at the target with right eye closed), I am right handed but eyewise very left, almost communist you might say.

There's a simple test you can do to see which eye is your dominant eye.

Get in the nets at your local cricket club, and have the fastest bowler around bowl at you. If your right eye is dominant, and you're batting right handed (left side facing the bowler), you won't see the ball till after you hear it hit the stumps. If you're left eyed you may be able to see the ball well enough to hit it. Even if you think you're a natural right hand bat, try switching - you may be surprised that you can see the ball better; of course, you then need to practise wielding the bat the "wrong" way round, it will probably be a season or two before you manage to lay willow on leather.

Left for me too, and I am right handed, but left footed as well (comes from having an older brother who was a lefty and copying him at everyting except writing!)

When I was young, my school took us on an activity week and we did rifle shooting (imagine that in today's H&S world!) The instructor there tested everyone with the pointing technique above and I was the only left eyed one in a class of 30. Never forgot it.

My right eye is my dominant eye. Luckily for me it's also the better one of the two. Got 0.25 astigmatism instead of 0.5 for my left. I also get noticeably sharper star points for my right eye - just covering each eye in turn while looking at Jupiter, Venus, Vega or similar shows this effect. I don't find it too hard to wink when looking through the telescope, although I find it more comfortable to keep both eyes open and just cover my left eye with my left hand, using my right to guide the scope after focusing.

I have a dominant right side balance- right foot, right arm, right hand, right eye and even right ear! My left eye also develops a slight squint when i dont wear my glasses. I find it more comfortable to keep my bad eye open when observing though.

I find if you close one eye for a while and use the open eye to look to the distance, it mis-aligns or deforms the closed eye and it takes a while to settle back afterwards; helped enormously by covering your not-used eye instead of closing it, so it can relax.

I have sufffered some damage to both my eyes. I have always favoured my right eye, except when I was blind in it. I occasonally use my left to look through the finder scope when I'm on the side of the scope that makes using my right eye awkward. I'm right handed. Although I'm somewhat amphibious in using tools.

Very strongly left eyed, so much so that I can't close it independently of my right, but can close my right independently. Am also strongly right handed.

I remember in the CCF at school trying to fire a Lee-Enfield .303. My right eye saw the back sight, but it was my left that saw the front. Not a good situation.

In fact I just want to the optician for an eye test today, and I think my right eye may have greater acuity. I'm getting new glasses and a pair made specially for astronomy, corrected for infinity as my varifocals play hob with any wide exit pupil.

Dave

Right handed, right eyed.

However, my vision is better with my left eye, which is somewhat unfortunate.

Currently working through a range of contact lenses to ensure I'm getting the best possible vision in my right eye.

Many people actually see colours slightly differently in each eye. It's very subtle, and is more noticeable in particular lighting conditions. Our front room used to be painted a deep red colour (actually looked better than it sounds..) and in full sun, a lot of people noticed a difference in colour when viewed through left or right eyes.

Archived