Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New 2" EP bags a fist full

iamjulian

Finally got some clear sky last night under which to test my new EPs. In the last week I got a 9mm Revelation Plossl (thanks John!) and a 32mm Meade 5000. I set up in the garden at about 8.30pm and waited for darkness. I did manage to do my usual trick and start looking for DSOs before it was properly dark. But half the sky was covered with cloud and I wanted to be done by about 10pm as I didn't have a luxury of a lie in this morning.

Tonight's targets were in Ursa Major: specifically, M108, M97 and M109. I could see The Plough asterism and lined up using the finder scope. To cut a long story short I jumped backwards and forwards for the best part of an hour and found nothing. Actually that's not fair; I did find a shed load of satellites! Every time the EP came to rest, a satellite glided through the field of view. I saw six in as many minutes at one point.

The night was definitely looking like a bit of a washout :) so I decided to abandon my original targets and go back in the house and consult my maps. It set me back to square one in terms of dark adaptation, but I memorised a few more targets, namely M51 the whirlpool galaxy, just below Alkaid in Ursa Major and M103 and M52 in Cassiopeia and headed back outside with renewed enthusiasm.

At this point the night changed into the best night's viewing to date :o. Starting with M51, it was very faint but definitely there. It looked elongated with a smaller detached bit at the bottom. At that point I only knew it as M51, it wasn't until this morning that I realised M51 was the whirlpool and the shape confirmed what I had seen. The cloud had been quite stubborn up until this point, but it quickly started to clear and Cassiopeia came into view and I got my first view of the open cluster M103. Nice being able to see some detail rather than the fuzzy blob I associate with globulars, but I wouldn't say it took my breath away. By comparison, five minutes later I landed on M52 which was incredible! It was pretty much at the zenith and was crammed in amongst a heck of a lot of stars, but I was able to up the magnification to 166x and still resolve quite a few of its brighter stars, though the overall brightness was diminished. It was more impressive than the views I have had of M13 so far.

By now I wondered whether I should go back to what I had already found, or make the most of what were seemingly good ‘seeing’ conditions and search for a few more Messiers. I took a minute or two to step back and have a look around with my eyes and I am glad I did because M31 was a naked eye object, the first time I had seen it as such! I knew I was about to get a good view as I pointed the scope. 23x magnification with a 2.6 degree field of view - the core was really bright and with averted vision the ellipse extended almost the full width of the EP! The best view I've ever had of M31 and my first view of M110, which I have been looking for for ages. I spent about fifteen minutes just gawping at M31, M32 and M110 easily in the same field of view. Just as I was about pack up, I noticed some stars just clearing a neighbour's roof line, I knew it was M45 The Plaides so I couldn't resist a quick look. Polluted bit of sky, close to the horizon, but they still sparkled like someone had spilled a handful of diamonds. Gorgeous. I wanted to stay up all night.

I didn't make time to do any direct comparisons between the 9mm Plossl and the standard Sky Watcher 10mm. But I spent most of the night glued to the Meade. The view was superb. I wasn't sure if swapping between a 2" EP and 1.25" would be a pain, but it was no more difficult that swapping between any other EPs. Rather than swapping EPs I was swapping between adapters, with the EPs already attached. I used to use the 25mm Sky Watcher all the time, but after half an hour with the Meade I found the Sky Watcher too small and I’m not convinced it will be used much now, other than when attached to the barlow. Using the Meade is a joy. You don’t put your eye to it, you grip the edge of the barrel with both hands and plunge your face into it. OK, slight exaggeration but that’s what it felt like. It took my Messier count from 6 to 11 so not a bad first light for it.

I also seem to go through a similar ritual of making a list of targets to view each session, then go outside and my plans go right out of the window lol. I now make a list of about 5 objects and then spend the rest of the evening exploring..

Great report, it seems the new eye pieces are making a real difference to your enjoyment and making the night sky even more submersive.

carl

Thanks Mick, I don't plan to view anything new for a while - the next couple of sessions I'll go back over what I already know, practice finding them more speedily.

Thanks Carl, yes I have to say I'm not regretting the 2" purchase. It makes such a difference having a big view.

Hi Julian - I see what you meant about our reports being similar! hehehe

We both went from 6 to 11 Messiers seen on the same night! Fantastic! I am like you and I like to revisit what I already know so I can find things over and over - I take it your mount is not goto? Feels really good to just push to and get it right first time :o

I also use a 2" EP - my Lightbridge only came with the one - the Meade 26mm QX wide angle and I love it to bits. Once when I was viewing an object fairly low in the sky it was drifting out of my FOV so fast I thought I was going to fall off the world! Seriously, I was wobbling about and dizzy!

Great report, thanks for sharing :)

Steph

Sounds like a great night - that small bright spot detached from M51 was probably NGC5195 (the Whirlpool's companion galaxy), so that's two objects bagged for the price of one - although I can't seem to find out if M51 includes both galaxies or not (web links conflict on this) - anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the write-up, Julian. I love reading all observing reports, but those written by people who, like me, are still quite new to all this are especially interesting!

I've not yet managed to have a good look at M45, although have noticed it sparkling in the sky several times over the last week or so. From your description it's definitely something I need to spend some time observing!

I'm also very interested in your comparisons between EPs. ou mentioned that the 25mm Sky Watcher felt small in comparison to the Meade, is that in terms of FOV? I ask as I'm currently using the Sky Watcher 25mm and 10mm EPs (as well as an unbranded 6mm for planetary observing) and am trying to decide which EPs I should switch to! Your description of what viewing feels like with the Meade almost has me sold already...

Really looking forward to your next report.

Hi Julian - great report. Which Meade 5000 have you ? There are the Super Wide Angles lens and the Ultra Wide Angle (UWA) versions - both badged as Meade 5000's. the UWA's look like a hand grenade.. If so, you have got a brilliant EP.

Once you start, you just can't stop - that's the real value of a late night / early morning at the EP

Excellent !

Thanks Steve, Adrian. I have the 'standard' Meade 5000. It's 60 degrees which gives me 2.5 degrees at 23x magnification. Compared to 1.4 degrees with the 20mm that came with the scope. I spotted it on Astro Buy Sell for £75 where it should cost £125 new. I couldn't resist. To be honest there is quite a bit of astigmatism (if that is the right word) in the outer 3rd of the field, probably because I am at f/5, but I can cope with it. I wondered whether to get the Antares 1.6x 2" barlow to correct it. But it would limit the field of view quite a bit. Still thinking about that one.

Archived