NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M57 - personal best (so far)!

rikyuu

Here's my M57 from last night. I reeaaalllly like it, I can't stop looking at it! It's a real step forward for me, ever since I tried autoguiding, removed the Canon filter and fitted the CLS-clip filter, I've seen vast improvements. I don't want to boast, but I'm reallly chuffed! :D Particularly after my strange problem with the ALT adjust on my CG-5 (see post in 'equipment help').

Details:

C8/F10 autoguided on CG-5

Canon 300d, filter removed & CLS filter

10x3min subs, ISO400

post-14666-133877397438_thumb.jpg

post-14666-13387739745_thumb.jpg

You should be delighted with that one, very nice indeed. Good colour, focus and definition. Hang on to your original files too, as you can always add to them, which will give you a great starting point for a future project.

Thanks all for your comments. It does give you a boost when it turns out well.

Also, my imaging has come on a bit since my first attempts in September last year, which I was really pleased with at the time! :D Mind you, it does seem to be proportional to money spent, or probably more accurately, equipment bought in error!

post-14666-133877397483_thumb.jpg

new to this so can you tell my how do you autoguide with a gt mount ? there is a plug hole on the mount but what do you plug into it ?

great image by the way i would be very proud of it

hi RD,

just got into autoguiding myself, but it's not too difficult, just a lot of trial and error and faffing around!

Depending on the type of GT mount you have, it may have a connector in the bottom of the handset, in which case it can be controlled using a serial cable to a laptop and this can be used for guiding using the ASCOM protocol. Or as my CG5-GT has, it may have a dedicated guidport on the mount itself, in which case a laptop can issue 'switching' commands (through an adapter) direct to that port. It's a bit lengthy to explain in detail here, but there's loads of info on the forum, or post a question in the equipment help section if you need more info.

cheers

mine is the cg5 gt goto mount and i have the serial port cable that plugs into the bottom of the handset, also have software loaded onto the pc i.e. stellarium, which has the Ascom drivers downloaded so i can click on a star and the mount will slew to it, this all works great, ( took me all day to do this ) is this what autoguiding is all about ?

I've just been looking at this one again. There is a ton of detail within the ring. I found I could get some quite nice results by enlarging the image a little at a time (10%) and increasing the DPI. Might be worth a play.

This is one of the nicest M57's I've seen on the board this year. Again, well done!

I'd love to have a play with the untouched stacked image.

If you could do a stack in DSS cropping the ring fairly tight but leaving enough stars to get a decent alignment, I'd be very grateful to have a play. Thanks

I've just been looking at this one again. There is a ton of detail within the ring. I found I could get some quite nice results by enlarging the image a little at a time (10%) and increasing the DPI. Might be worth a play.

This is one of the nicest M57's I've seen on the board this year. Again, well done!

If you could do a stack in DSS cropping the ring fairly tight but leaving enough stars to get a decent alignment, I'd be very grateful to have a play. Thanks

TJ, It would be great to see what you can do with it. Doh, when I try to upload the cropped TIF, it keeps reporting that it's not a valid image file. I'll try again in a bit.

Thanks all for you comments! :)

hi TJ,

here's a link to the original tif out of DSS, cropped.

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/582.590905.11092009.73764.6a64fi/M57+-+median+-+no+dss+adj-tight+crop.tif

Let me know if you need anything different.

cheers

Archived