Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just Watched Sky at Night...

JamesK

...and was quite interested with the possiblity of liquid, perhaps salty water, under the ice of Europa. Does anyone know if there are any plans to find out conclusivly, if so, what time frame are we looking at. Just interested.

Thought it was quite a good programme tonight, I like it when if focuses on facts about the observable stuff rather than the various space programs and far out space science.

Incidently, I love how the team "Out in the Field" were having the same problems as I have recently!

A mission to Europa is certainly in NASA's exploration plans for the future. There is a NASA mission planned and pencilled in for launch around 2020 called the Jupiter Europa Orbiter (JEO). If launched as planned it would arrive in the Jovian system in 2025 and take a tour around the planet and it's moons before dropping into an orbit around Europa in 2028 for a detailed 9 month mapping operation of Europa.

You can read a bit more about the mission here:

https://opfm.jpl.nasa.gov/europajupitersystemmissionejsm/jupitereuropaorbiterconcept/

As to landing on Europa, there is a concept mission dubbed Europa Astrobiology Lander, but as such is still just a concept with Nasa and I would expect it being launched after more detailed information on Europa is retrieved by JEO, so not for quite some time yet!

Unfortunately Nasa has been hit with a number of budget cuts recently, and a number of planned missions have bitten the bullet, but as Europa is only second to Mars on Nasa's priorities, there is a high probability that we will see this mission going ahead.

Paul...

I though Pete L and the sketching guy were going to have a proper little row on camera. It def. got a little edgy in there at one point when they were discussing the reliability of each method...:D

LOL I thought that to.

And those old brass eyepieces that guy was putting into SPM's old reflector, they looked pretty ancient.

I though Pete L and the sketching guy were going to have a proper little row on camera. It def. got a little edgy in there at one point when they were discussing the reliability of each method...:D

Just to remind you that Pete Lawrence and the 'sketching guy' also known as Paul Abel are both regulars on SGL. Some of Paul's work can be seen here.at the top of the page.

Just to remind you that Pete Lawrence and the 'sketching guy' also known as Paul Abel are both regulars on SGL. Some of Paul's work can be seen here.at the top of the page.

Yep I know they are. I just couldn't pull Pauls name out from the back of my head for some reason (apologies Paul).

I though Pete L and the sketching guy were going to have a proper little row on camera. It def. got a little edgy in there at one point when they were discussing the reliability of each method...:)

I don't think it was getting quite *that* edgy, but I'd have liked more of that discussion. :D

It's all for television, they are friends. Trust me, I know 'cos I was there.

You mean it was staged? Kind of like pro wrestling?:)

I wasn't for one moment suggesting it was a serious fall out or that they wern't friends, just that there was a funny little "imaging vs. sketching" moment in there that made me chuckle....:D

I liked the suggestion that both imaging and sketching could complement each other and similar details could be compared.

I agree. I have had some interesting sessions with imaging friends where we have compared our respective results. I admit that sketching CAN be subjective, but if you draw what you see and not what you know, then you won't go wrong.

Imaging has the upper hand when it somes to doing science, but not all of us are interested in doing science - I know I'm not. :)

I can just see PL diving at PA from the top of Patricks Observatory!!!!

Lol!!

:):D:D:DThat made me laugh quite a bit, (which is currently the third most painful activity I can engage in :)).

I really rate friendly rivalry. It spurs you on to do better, but it doesn't knock down your confidence. Cool!

I really enjoyed the whole programme and I like the fact that the experts' observation attempts are as much heroic failures as my own! :)

Archived