Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beautiful Eta Cassiopeia

Starobserver

Eta Cassiopeia is a strikingly colourful pair of stars. Eta's primary is bright yellow, while its dim companion looks deep orange with a hint of red. This attractive couple lies within an asterism that, using the right magnification, looks like a small dolphin (see my sketch for details). The dolphin asterism consists of 13 stars, oriented southwest northeast, with eta Cassiopeia situated at the tip of the tail fin. Eta Cassiopeia was allready easily split in the 22mm Nagler. After trying all possible magnifications, I liked the view of both the double and the asterism best using the 12mm Nagler T4, giving a magnification of 133x and a field of view of 37'.

For more details on this interesting couple of yellow and red main sequence dwarfs, its discovery, the place on the main sequence etc. please follow this link for the full report.

post-16664-133877396443_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this and the link to your website which is great. Open clusters are my favourite targets and your web reports and sketches are excellent + full of interesting details. I've bookmarked your site so please keep posting more reports :D

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone for the positive replies:icon_exclaim: And Andrew, I will do my best to post some good sketches this winter. At the moment I just finished NGC 457 (the sketch). I will write the observing report next week and hope to post it on wednesday.

Thanks again everybody:)

Archived