NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

Levdr

Hello. My name is Levina, I'm Dutch, living in Amsterdam. I've been gazing at the stars for quite some time now with a pair of binoculars. I'm also a rather passionate photographer (of birds mostly) and I do that with a Canon 40D. A month or two ago I was gazing at the night sky again and suddenly thought: why not point the camera at the stars. I did and lo and behold: the photos showed things I had never seen before! So I'm all excited now -reading books, looking at star charts, running Stellarium- and I want a scope! As I am most interested in imaging, and as I have frustratingly little money, I decided on a small refractor. FLO is having a great deal at the moment: the Celestron 80mm ED on a CG-5 mount for only £ 315. It's a killer price I think. Although I am worried as I read somewhere that the shop doesn't sell outside the UK. Is this true?

Anyway, this seems like a nice lounge to hang out in. Nice to be here. :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you people for all the kind words. As for FLO, I don't know what to make of it, as I have already emailed twice (4 days ago en 2 days ago). I don't know what else to do. But nevermind, I emailed another shop, in Germany, this morning and they already answered, offering me a nice deal, so if I haven't heard anything from FLO by Monday, I will except the other deal. That would be the Skywatcher 80mm ED-R, with the same mount.

I'm so looking forward to all that's to come. I mean, I'm at the stage where I get excited by the photos I took of Jupiter where I can see three moons. I can't make out Jupiter, as that is still just a bright dot, but the moons are definitely there. :D

No idea why FLO havent answered - they are pretty good normally

It pains me to say this, but I've sent 4 mails to FLO since I joined SGL and never had a single reply. I sometimes wonder if I'm writing in white ink on a white background.

Anyhow... Welcome to SGL Levina and I hope you have good fun with your 'scope.

Yes, strange that they don't respond. Not good for business I would think. Still, people make mistakes sometimes, screw up etc. Oh well, that just means that some other shop will be getting my money :D

And thank you too, Talitha, Astro-Baby and Albedo0.39, for welcoming me to the forum. Nice.

Lavina, I stayed on the outskirts of Amsterdam when I was about 15 on a school trip. I can remember an amazing model village complete with canal system and harbour, that you could walk around, the tallest building was a church spire at about 6 ft tall, it was amazing but can't remember it's name. We also went to a large outdoor tank museum and the Tulip fields, what an amazing country. We even got interviewed by a local radio station with regards to some of the graffiti which was becoming a problem at the time. Wow how time flies, that was 28yrs ago..

It pains me to say this, but I've sent 4 mails to FLO since I joined SGL and never had a single reply. I sometimes wonder if I'm writing in white ink on a white background.

Anyhow... Welcome to SGL Levina and I hope you have good fun with your 'scope.

Strange Steve. I've sent loads too, and have always had a reply within a few hours.

Btw welcome to SGL Lavina.

@Dark Night. I don't know what the 'outdoor tank museum' refers to, but the model village is called Madurodam (it's in Den Haag or The Hague in English). It's amazing isn't it? I'm glad you liked your stay.

And both you and Doc thanks for the welcome!

Levina

Hi Levina,

Welcome to SGL. There are lots of friendly, helpful people here and a wealth of knowledge. Steve & James at FLO usually get back to people pretty quickly, so I don't know what happened this time - why not drop Steve a PM from this Forum?

Tot ziens

Tom

Hi Tom,

I had the same thought and sent Steve a pm just a while ago. He was quick as lightening with a response. Seems like a very friendly fellow.

And thank you for the welcome (with a bit of Dutch even - why, I feel right at home! :D ).

Levina

Archived