Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Levdr

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ron and hi Graig. Very nice to meet you and thank you for the welcome. I think, Ron, that you are right about this being a very fine place. In roaming the internet for information I have visited a few other astronomers' sites, but none welcomed me as friendly and as kindly as the people here. When you are a beginner and entering an established community, it's not always easy to find your way in, but the people here sure make it easy, and that is just so nice. And much appreciated! Also, another thing that makes SGL stand out for me is the tutorial section in the beginners forum. I have not seen that in the other forums. Plus, those tutorials are excellent! The result is that I hardly visit the others anymore. :)

And Graig, about those languages... nowadays it's down to just one foreign language: English.

When I went to school, French and German were part of the curriculum too, but no longer. A shame really, for knowing French and German has benefitted me in a lot of ways. Plus that the whole of French and German literature is available to me. Nothing better than to read something in the original language, if you can. But then, I'm a linguist, so I may suffer from tunnel vision... :)

Well, yes peecee, we do have our moments. ;) Then again, there are times... :D:(

Hi Levina,

Oh for the benefit of hindsight, i actually opted out of languages whist at school(Doh!) and then did my best to learn french when i worked there. I managed to get along and it's so much nicer to speak with someone on their terms if you know what i mean?.I'm illiterate though when it comes to the written french language.

regards, craig

Most impressive that you learned to speak French like that, Craig. I learn foreign languages very easily, but I need to know how that language is written before I can do so. This includes the vocabulary: I need to see a word in written form before I can both pronounce it correctly and memorize it. So I'm always impressed by people who can just pick up a language by listening to it. :D

Welcome to SGL, Levina. That is interesting, about learning languages. It occurs to me that most of the French words I know I learned through reading them before I put them into use, except for the swear words, which I learned on the street. :D It is very rewarding to speak another language. One of my most treasured young friends is a Dutch lady who goes to my church. There are many Dutch expatriates living in Canada.

Thank you Warthog! I totally agree, knowing more than just one's own language, is very rewarding. Yes, I know that there's a pretty large group of Dutch out there. I believe most migrated in the fifties, after the war. I've been to Canada once. Stayed with some friends in Toronto. Long time ago though - boy I'm getting old. Nice people those Canadians... :D

Love Amsterdam... and really have a lot of good times and memories working with the dutch. Now, have an office in Nieuw Vennep and also have friends in Osdorp and Haarlem.. Love the place. Ever been to Trop an Zee near Zandvort... very chilled place to watch the sun go down. What's the Light Pollution like where you live ?

Hi Steve,

I'm glad you appreciate Amsterdam and the Dutch as much as you do. With an office in Nieuw-Vennep and friends all over the place, you must be a regular visitor?

I worked in Haarlem for a while, long time ago though. Trop aan Zee doesn't ring a bell, but I do know Zandvoort of course.

Light pollution is pretty severe I think, but not as bad as it could be. I live in the outskirts of the city (in Zeeburg if that means anything to you) and the North-East side - away from the city - gets pretty dark. Also, the Flevopark is just around the corner. It's a big place without illumination. The other night I went there with my binoculars to have a look and it was amazing how much I could see there. And this was only sort of near the entrance of the park, as I didn't have the courage to actually go in (pitch black and hearing voices - I mean real voices!!). Which means I need to find other, local, stargazers so we can go together (safety in numbers and all that).

---

Levina

Archived