Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6946

Sam

Image: 24 X 300sec subs at ISO1600

Camera: Modded Canon 1000D

Telescope: Orion XT8 8" reflector on EQ6 Syntrek

Autoguidding: QHY5 and ST80

Software: PHD, Guidemaster, EQMOD, PixInsight and DSS

After going after the nebulae lately it was quite nice to head back to the galaxies. NGC 6946 is 10 million light years away and sits just above the constellation Cepheus (the one that looks like a house). It's a nice target as it sits in a rich and colourful star field. Visually NGC6946 is a big smudge with a little bit of detail along the axes of the brighter spiral arms - there's also a nice cluster that sites quite close (NGC6939).

The conditions last night were pretty good, there was quite a bit moisture hanging around so dew was quite a problem but I managed to keep it back with a large dew shield on the big scope and the hair dryer on ST80 every so often. Anyway here's the result:

Sam

post-14099-133877391879_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the very nice comments, I'm very pleased with this image, heaps better than when I did it last year.

Richie, I head back at the end of the year so a mad rush is on to capture everything I can of the northern sky!:)

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another version of this pic with a bit more thought gone into the processing. The aim being to try and bring out the detail in the core and spiral arms. I got inspired to have another go at this data becasue of the write up on this galaxy in Astronomy Now. I happy with the galaxy but not overly happy with the background so I guess it's still a work in progress.

Sam

post-14099-133877394964_thumb.jpg

Archived