Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hi folks

Taz

I have just joined so i'm saying hello

my real name is Keith and today I bought my first (since childhood) telescope, I have allways been fascinated with the moon and as my son is showing some interest I bought a Celestron 114 eq firstscope for the grand sum of £50 :) not sure if that was a good deal but it's virtually unused, it took a while t put it all together but wasn't to difficult except for the motor which i havn't fitted as yet until i get used to using the scope manualy. typically it's now raining so i can't try it out :) I decided to join this place as i have found forums and bbs's to be the best source of info.

what i would like to know is which lens's i need ? it came with a tasco barlow 3x and one that says 25 and another that just says H6 ? i would like to be able at some point to connect my digital slr and take some pic's if that is possible ? anyway i'm sure you experts on here will soon have me on the right track, thanks :headbang:

Hi, and welcome to SGL, Keith. :) A 3x Barlow gives you three times the magnification of whatever eyepiece you've chosen when you slip an eyepiece into it. If my calculations are correct, the 25 mm eyepiece you have will produce a magnification of 180x, but i'm absolutely stumped regarding what an "H6" is, though.

H6 means a Huygens 6mm eyepiece.

The eye lens does most if not all the magnification, and the field lens focusses the image in front of the eye lens in a manner that allows both lenses to nullify any chromatic aberrations etc. The field diaphgram limits the field diameter to the central area of best quality to be viewed, which in this design is at its lowest compared with more complex designs. A field of view of about 30-35 degrees is about the maximum that can be expected from the Huygenian eyepiece. Both lenses are usually plano-convex in section, and the flat sides face the observer.

Wow what a really nice and warm welcome, thank you all very much,

i'm a member of a few forums and as i'm partialy disabled i find them great especialy when i can't get out much :)

thanks for the info on my lens's can some one tell me are they any good ? or do I need some thing better ? if so what should i be looking for ?

I have now finished building the scope but it's cloudy :) suppose that is sod's law

Hi Keith - welcome to SGL, you'll find plenty of advice here on getting the most from that 'scope of yours. From my experience when you drop in even a semi-decent (and not that expensive) Plossl EP you will start to see what your scope is capable of

Good luck

Steve

Archived